Windpaddle Sails - Any thoughts?

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Windpaddle Sails - Any thoughts?

Post by shane »

I've come across these sails and am tempted to try them out:

http://www.windpaddle.com/

Advantages seem to be compact size, ease of install, deployment and pack-up. When not sailing the whole thing is a disc 38cm dia that would sit coiled out of the way on the hatch lid. I've seen them on ebay and shops for under/around $200. Pricey compared to DIY but for a well built simple downwind sailing solution they could be a good option.

Any thoughts from those more experienced with kayak sailing?
0408 565 763
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Windpaddle Sails - Any thoughts?

Post by GoneFishn »

I'd be looking more towards a PA sail (Pacific Action Sail). The reason being you can sail a PA sail in a cross wind and may even get slight up wind too. You can make a PA sail quite easley, I've made one (using a flatearth type sail now) and so have a couple of the other boys. Don't know of anyone who has used or own a windpaddle.
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Post by Tipsta »

Get one in the Target store colours so we have something to aim our toadies at lol

Tip
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Tipsta wrote:Get one in the Target store colours so we have something to aim our toadies at lol

Tip
You'd have to peddle hard to catch up first!
GoneFishn wrote:I'd be looking more towards a PA sail (Pacific Action Sail). The reason being you can sail a PA sail in a cross wind and may even get slight up wind too. You can make a PA sail quite easley, I've made one (using a flatearth type sail now) and so have a couple of the other boys. Don't know of anyone who has used or own a windpaddle.
I've looked at the PA style including DIY. They work well but IMHO they end up with a messy deck and a lot of modification to fit. I'd like a sail I can store inside the hull and only quickly fit with no major mods on the odd occassion I wanted to sail. Looking at a few reviews and videos for the windpaddle they can sail in 90 degree cross wind but wouldn't tack into wind. Speed seems to be similar or a bit less than the PA.
0408 565 763
momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

Post by momunny »

I got one, the cruiser version. I am going to try it out this weekend. Will let you know how it went :thumbsup:
Cheers,

Momunny
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

:thumbsup: I talked myself into buying one. Capacity sports have both sizes in stock in a range of colours. I got the smaller Adventure for $180. The larger cruisers were around $220 but are too big folded up on my hatch.

I'm planning to fit it tommorrow for a trial sail off Altona, not enough wind to bother this morning. I'll do another post showing the install and how it goes. 8-)
0408 565 763
ajt223
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revolution

Post by ajt223 »

shane wrote::thumbsup: I talked myself into buying one. Capacity sports have both sizes in stock in a range of colours. I got the smaller Adventure for $180. The larger cruisers were around $220 but are too big folded up on my hatch.

I'm planning to fit it tommorrow for a trial sail off Altona, not enough wind to bother this morning. I'll do another post showing the install and how it goes. 8-)
My initial thought after looking at the windpaddle website was why not try an umbrella? Now I'm looking forward to your report on the real thing. And momunnys as well. I'm very interested in this bit of equipment. And how far upwind it'll go.

aj
momunny
Square eyes
kayak: Yakless

Post by momunny »

ok Guys here is the verdict on the Cruiser version of the Windpaddle.

On a Hobie Revo...need to utilise the location where the sail mast is positioned. I have a Tbar that you can clip on the sail that will allow you to go cross wind and turn to the wind direction. This is limited to +/- 60 degrees to your bearing. The Mirage drive help provide good lateral resistance and I also have a large sailing rudder in place. Care must be take to ensure the sail do not drop pass the front of the kayak. It can get into the water and if it fills up you will have trouble lifting it off. I found this is an issue because my sail is oversized for the Revo...a Scout or Adventure might be better to handle and also to stow. Cruiser too big for Revo to twist and store. However it definately pick up really good speed down wind on a 10knot wind. :thumbsup:

Attachment for the sail to kayak is easy. Just to bottom clips and a centre clip for adjustment. Ensure this is fitted securely to the kayak else it will tip on one side and touch the water.

Saying that the reason I have the cruiser model is for my tandem kayak which is big enough . Here the extra "thrust" is great for a battleship like mine. Again positioning the sail and securing it to the kayak is important. With the tandem, I dont have much lateral resistance and the rudder i have is too small for this kind of kayak. I find the tracking a big issue. Will need a larger rudder to help it but will need additional directional stabilisation on the front.
Cheers,

Momunny
grt1
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: orange kingfisher, red 2014 Revo11

Post by grt1 »

Hey shane, how did the windpaddle go. I to have been looking into getting one much for the same reasons - deck space for the kingfisher but I just wonder how well they worked. I was talking to the guy at capacity sports but he could not give me much info as the person that knew about them was not there. They seem like a good and simple idea.
Geoff
0409 233 445
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Hi Geoff,

I've used the windpaddle a couple of times now and had it tied onto the front hatch a few more trips in case the wind got up.

Overall I'm very happy with it. The adventure model sits neatly on the hatch of my quest and only takes 30 seconds to fit. I haven't used it in a really strong wind yet but in a light to moderate breeze it still moves along well. Good for trolling rods hands free and longer trips. Compared with other sails I think the simplicity to attach, set up and fold down names it a winner, even if it only works down/cross wind. I'm heading overseas for 6 weeks tomorrow but when I get back I plan to get out and use the sail a lot more. Even plan some longer trips (eg P2) where I can use the sail on one or both legs.

Here's a pic of the sail in action. You will note the sheet (holding line) is just long enough to hook under my sounder allowing me to have both hands free unless the wind is significantly cross. Its easy to twist back down and when folded is the same diameter as the hatch lid in the foreground that it sits on.

0408 565 763