mast foot mods - home made Vee sail

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

mast foot mods - home made Vee sail

Post by cheaterparts »

I had a small sail after fishing good friday and one thing that showed up was the masts on the vee sail would push side ways
and the hose that runs though the feet would not control the show and every thing lost tention

it was still ok down wind but cross wind a bit of a fail - so I've added some lenth across the base of each Tee by adding a 20 mm socket and a 15 mm scket to each side
the 20 mm socket needed a small amound of work with the die grinder and it was opened out enough to tap onto the out side of the tee that was right through it that size

when assembled the 20 mm socket was glued fitting over the out side of the tee and then a 15 mm socket was glued and tapped in til it hit the edge of the tee

the remainder of the 15 mm socket was cut off level with the outside edge of the 20 mm socket

a little testing on the front nature strip wind tunnel found that the sail is more stable and the only thing then was the centre section on the hose would push foward
note the bit of bungy on the centre of the mast foot - that worked in holding this back

I'm thinking of braving the cold and doing some testing on the water this arvo ( there,s plenty of wind around )
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Babylon
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: mast foot mods - home made Vee sail

Post by Babylon »

Better take some Sandwiches if you go its a bloody gale out there
you could end up the other side of the bay.Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

ok just got back from a sail at warnett and there is a marked improvement - I even got it to sail a bit to windward and a 90 deg reach is now easier however I need a lee board badly now

the lee board will need to be a fair bit forward as the centre of a vee sail when reaching is even futher forward than the jib I was going to make
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Post by Tipsta »

Good on ya mate, keep chippin away at it and you'll have it sorted out in no time.

Cheers Tip
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

looks good Cheater, put some wheels on it and you have a land yacht. :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Just imagine Cheater if you had a Hobie, put both pedals together and you have a centreboard.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

maverick wrote:Just imagine Cheater if you had a Hobie, put both pedals together and you have a centreboard.
true but they would be to far back - they would need to be about a meter futher forward
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657