cheaters sail - first road test

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

cheaters sail - first road test

Post by cheaterparts »

I headed to Warnett for my first try with the sail and I must say I was surpised how good it worked
my guess there was about 10 knot wind ,so I paddled up against it bit closer to the mangroves and out of the wind a bit
aimed down wind and put the sail up - it worked and zipped along quite good down wind
I tried it with the wind over my shoulder and a small adjust of the sail had it working great

I tried reaching with about 90 deg to the wind and again it worked fairly good it still made good ground even though there is
a lot of side slip ( a lee board is the next thing on the list )
the yak steered quite easy with the paddle and the sail dosen't get in the way of paddling ether while sailing or packed away

with a bit more tweeking on the rigging I think it will sail to windward a bit ( that will be only a bit )
the bungy front guy ropes are a great safe guard 2 or 3 times when the wind gut got to strong the bungys just give way and the sail spills the air and not me into the drink
of cause this safe guard will make it hard to sail to windward

max speed was 11.2 Ks I dont know where it hit that but it seamed to move quite well with the wind anywher behind me to 90 deg both sides
as I said a little bit of tweeking will have this working better and should make it easy to cover distance if the wind is the right way
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
fishophil
Lord of the fish
kayak: Kingfisher & 2013 Hobie Outback.. and 3 more..

Re: cheaters sail - first road test

Post by fishophil »

Great work cheater.
Fun isnt it! :mrgreen:
Its cool when you know you can sit back and relax if the wind is coming from behind you.
Too many freaks. Not enough circuses.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Interesting, I think the rudder is a good option.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

fishophil wrote:Great work cheater.
Its cool when you know you can sit back and relax if the wind is coming from behind you.
yes and they zip along with 10 kt of wind - I had the sail fall down a couple of times while on a reach but never felt like the yak would fall over

I put the paddle forward like a lee board and it seamed to stop the side slip but then there was no steering
I think a lee board is more important than the rudder atm , so I'm looking at haw to rig one up

it will also help while sitting at anchour in high tide flow
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

maverick wrote: I think the rudder is a good option.
so do I Mav - but a lee board will stop side drift and steering with the paddle is pretty easy
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

fishophil wrote:Great work cheater.
isnt that where it usually comes from :?
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
fishophil
Lord of the fish
kayak: Kingfisher & 2013 Hobie Outback.. and 3 more..

Post by fishophil »

:lol:

I should of had a couple of cans of beans for breaky thismorning to help the sail move along! :up:
Too many freaks. Not enough circuses.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Sailing rocks! I'm a little jealous :mrgreen: The best I've managed is 8kts, so 11 is freakin awesome!
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Smish wrote:Sailing rocks! I'm a little jealous :mrgreen: The best I've managed is 8kts, so 11 is freakin awesome!
that was 11.2 kph or about 6 and bit Kts but for the first time out I'm pretty happy with that
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

11 knts......sure you weren't onto a gummy as well at the time :evilgrin:

hey :idea: .... harnessed gummy yak racing ...... now theres an idea :lol:

Well boys .... you'd better bring-ya-rigs-along on Sunday....should be a bit of a breeze around too....
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose