Is it worth organising a Yak Sailors meet?

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!

Where do you want to meet.

Poll ended at 10 Jun 2011, 00:21

Meet at Sorrento
18%
Meet at Rickets?
36%
Meet at Altona
45%

Total votes: 11

ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Re: Is it worth organising a Yak Sailors meet?

Post by ELM »

Well I got another phone call today, AI owner looking for someone to sail with. Seems there is no where really for AI owners to meet and the best places I know for them to go, are the fishing forums. Only because that's where I have met all the great people that I have who have kayaks, and lets face it, an AI is just a kayak with trainer floats and a sail.

Anyway, it has inspired me to give this thread a kick in the guts and another try, plus I really need to be inspired to get my kit out and get back on the horse (so to speak).

Altona got the greatest votes, so Altona it is.
I have roof racks on my car, if someone needs a lift around the bay to join in, and may even have racks on my trailer for another if needed by then as well.
No hot air filling your sails, just sea breezes boys and girls.
Questions are;
Before Christmas - November Sat 19, or After - Jan Sat 14?
and
Who's in?
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

Ed,
Just wondering, How many AI owners are part of this forum, I know there is plenty of sails, but as you know, AIs are in a different class. Not knocking anything here.
BTW im in anywhere, anytime. (prefebly 15-25knots offshore and sunny if you can organise that bud)
Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

I think Azzos might be on the 19th Nov, Bit hard to tell.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Dognut wrote:I think Azzos might be on the 19th Nov, Bit hard to tell.
Yep you are right Azzos is the 19th.cheers Jim :thumbsup:
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

Ok cannot miss Azzos, Nov Sat 19th is out.

What about Nov Sun 27th?
Dognut wrote:Ed,
Just wondering, How many AI owners are part of this forum, I know there is plenty of sails, but as you know, AIs are in a different class. Not knocking anything here.
BTW im in anywhere, anytime. (prefebly 15-25knots offshore and sunny if you can organise that bud)
Hi Donut and yes I do know what you mean.
There are roughly 12 AI/TI owners on the forum, last meet I think we had five turn up.
Mat x 1 (still around)
Rodman x 2 (have not heard or seen of him for a long time, last visited Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:58 pm)
Me x 1 (still around but have not been up to sailing)
Sellz x1 (I think he still pokes his head in from time to time, Last visited: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:47 pm).

There are also;
yourself, Donut x 1
Astro x 1 (think he is still around the Western burbs)
TFM x 1 (still pokes his head in)
Hoit x 1 (still pokes his head in)
cybertrouts x 1 TI (still pokes his head in )
Starver x 1 TI (always floating on the sidelines)
geocacher x 2 (Lakes Entrance, been a while since I have seen him, Last visited: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:44 pm)
There are couple of others who's names have left me for the moment, some Melb burbs, and a couple from Gippsland for memory. I have also been contacted by two other AI owners (1 from Ballnaring (old sailing salt), 1 from Hawthorn (sailed Portsea to Mt Martha last year 4hrs), non fisherman though, through Scott Lovig Hobie) who are looking for people two sail with and I pointed them towards here, whether they joined or not, who knows, I have not seen them?

At some stage I would really love to do a few longer trips again, maybe even a bay crossing at a push. Would also be nice to get fit enough for some offshore sailing/fishing again, something that Mat has done more of. The Prom, Out off Flinders, Sorrento and Barwon Heads (dream on :roll: ).

As for the kayaks fitted with sails, struth I have lost count. I have not sailed against any, but I would certainly not underestimate there performance (specially down wind) and would be a fun day to have some short circuit races followed by a longer one (paddle peddles also included ;) ).
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,

Cheers
Eddie

ElwoodAI
kayak: Hobbie AI

Post by ElwoodAI »

Hi Guys

I can't confirm yet but I am interested too. I launch from Elwood beach and depending on the wind etc it would take me 2-3 hours to get to Altona. Any ideas about start/finish time and destination?

Regards
Hakan
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Hi Hakan and welcome to the site ,what Eddie means is we bring our yaks by road to Altona then sail out from there ,should be a lot of fun

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Count me in. Doubt if I could keep up with an AI but hey its still a hoot sailing the yak.
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

G'day Elwood and welcome, good to see another AI owner on the forum.

The original idea was to just have a meet, check out each others units as some of the kayak owners have built there own sails, and to just have a sail around with what the conditions have in favor.

Got a preference out of the two dates Gonefishn?

Cheers
Eddie

Cheers
Eddie

ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Might need to check on the regulations for regatta's Eddie just in case you get a big turn out. I know some of the nsw boys got told off when they had a group of AI's sailing around together as they classified them as off the beach sailing vessels rather than kayaks, not sure what the regs in vic are.