Is it worth organising a Yak Sailors meet?

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!

Where do you want to meet.

Poll ended at 10 Jun 2011, 00:21

Meet at Sorrento
18%
Meet at Rickets?
36%
Meet at Altona
45%

Total votes: 11

ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Is it worth organising a Yak Sailors meet?

Post by ELM »

With so many of you experimenting with sails and a few AI, TI owners around, Is it worth maybe organising a Yak Sailors day somewhere. No real course just meet up, swap idea's, have a sail, swap around and test other peoples configurations if it suits. Maybe a short race for the heck of it and a laugh. Have a troll along the beaches or out in the deeper channel.

Sorrento has a nice beach and some reasonable fishing etc, pub right across the road that has nice meals, coffee etc, I am not sure, but I think there are also some public BBQ's (would have to check that out). Anyone from Geelong or West side (depending how far around) can catch the ferry as foot passenger $10.00 (one way) (kayaks are free) and Sorrento is a ferry port.

I cannot guarantee I can make it and am just putting it out there to see if there is an interest.

Over to you_________________________________________________________________________________________________?

Ok, Poll is up and open for 15 days, fire away!!!!
Last edited by ELM on 21 Oct 2011, 22:40, edited 3 times in total.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Is it worth organising a Yak Sailors meet?

Post by cheaterparts »

ELM wrote:With so many of you experimenting with sails and a few AI, TI owners around, Is it worth maybe organising a Yak Sailors day somewhere. No real course just meet up, swap idea's, have a sail, swap around and test other peoples configurations if it suits. Maybe a short race for the heck of it and a laugh. Have a troll along the beaches or out in the deeper channel.
Vyak sailing regatta
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Sounds like a good idea ELM :up:
Its funny when I built my first PA sail the only other sails being used where the AI's, now on my second sail and there are quite a few guys building there own setups :thumbsup:
I'm finding after a mornings session of fishing I'm cursing lately because there has been hardly enough wind for the sail :twisted: I'll have to make sure I have the full sail setup when its snapper season, to make sure there is no wind :lol:

Another good spot for Sailing could be to launch at Sandrige Beach or maybe even Rickets, but I wouldn't mind making a trip over on the ferry to Sorrento.
Astro
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Big aluminium one

Post by Astro »

Sounds good I would be keen, but sorrento is about as far away from Point Cook you can get and still be in the bay, can we make it somewhere a bit more central?
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

If AI's, TI's are coming, the hill at Rickets is a killer and totally out of question for myself (but as I said, I doubt I would be a starter, with the AI anyway). There is the boat ramp around the corner I believe, I have never been around there for a look, anyone throw some more light, cost/parking etc?
Is there a pub or dinner or BBQ's with a bit of shelter close if we choose for a feed/coffee and warm chat later?

There are a lot using trailers these days, with (hopefully) a new one coming my way in a couple of weeks and ramp access would be ideal where ever we meet.

As I said, I am just putting it out there, see if there is some interest at some stage, suggest away and we will see if we can make a plan.

Hope Smish can make it, I am itching for a perv and to feel the curves of the stealth of blimps, might even sneak down a cylinder of helium from the scuba shop to help him blow it up :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

ELM wrote: Hope Smish can make it, I am itching for a perv and to feel the curves of the stealth of blimps, might even sneak down a cylinder of helium from the scuba shop to help him blow it up :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Smish will really fly along then :yahoo: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry couldn't help myself :D
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

Happy to travel.... its the only way to discover new places and get a feel for different parts of the bay.

Ricketts is generally good (the steep hill is at Mentone SLSC) and theres a good easy beach at Ricketts to launch - never any surf so always a good smooth return even if there are whitecaps aound. The winds being a prevailing SW also mean you can generally sail out and back without having to worry about trying to beat into the wind (too much)... obviously any launch spot (without surf) will do as long as the wind of the day is perpendicular to the beach/coastline.....

Swit, Mordy and I think Peterj would also find that side of the bay easy to get to.....

...now... how to fit the stern gland for the stealth motor in the meantime :evilgrin:

one BIG worry is .... if I see and maybe try an AI/TI ....I know exactly where it lead...... grief and poverty ! :lol:

anyway as I said ...happy to travel.
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

by Astro » 12 May 2011, 12:52

Sounds good I would be keen, but sorrento is about as far away from Point Cook you can get and still be in the bay, can we make it somewhere a bit more central
why not sail across.. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
Astro
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Big aluminium one

Post by Astro »

paddlepop wrote: why not sail across.. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

I'll race ya :lol:
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

ELM wrote:Hope Smish can make it, I am itching for a perv and to feel the curves of the stealth of blimps, might even sneak down a cylinder of helium from the scuba shop to help him blow it up :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Seems like I’m the “Blimp Pimp” now… :evilgrin:

You can put your hands on her curves for a nominal fee… but if I catch you pumping her with *anything* it’s going to cost ya! :lol:

I’m up for a sail day, but to be fair on us Westies, a launch between Mornington and Ricketts is going to be a more attractive proposition… driving, sailing and beering at Sorrento is a long day - although, if I brought the GF and organized a B&B it could be a nice way to spend a weekend… 8-)