Outriggers

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Re: Outriggers

Post by Peterj »

I know this is an old thread now but you can use EPS (polystyrene foam ) foam , glue it ,sand it to shape it and glass it. If you use Epoxy resin it wont eat the foam away like polyurethane does.
They make surfboards that way now.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

After all my testing with the bottle outriggers I decided to bite the bullet and get the real deal. I went with the inflatable type (BCF) so far so good. I have made up a seat for my daughter in the back and now we are all set to go fishing.
We gave the setup a run over at Indented Head last weekend and we both had a great time (no fishing just paddling around to windy) Once Sienna had enough then it was time to test the outriggers with the sail up. The wind had picked up even more but that just made it even more fun. Not the quickest sail but I think with the stronger wind a smaller sail is easier to handle.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

They look the real deal Kelly ,wish I had them on yesterday sailing at lake bolac in a 20 knot plus wind :shock: just out of interest do you think you could be able to stand up with the yak at rest and the outriggers on

cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

cruiser wrote:They look the real deal Kelly ,wish I had them on yesterday sailing at lake bolac in a 20 knot plus wind :shock: just out of interest do you think you could be able to stand up with the yak at rest and the outriggers on

cruiser
Haven't tried it yet but I think I could. The outriggers do make it very stable but they also slow it up a bit. It feels like I'm paddling my old Tempo :lol:
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

I installed the hobie side kicks on my outfitter was about $250 from memory and thay make it absolutely stable even on a rough day and it is hard to topple, I can stand on them when its little calm .....it slows the kayak a bit due to drag but I would strongly reccoment it if anyone is Interested.
Praz
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

BCF have them ?
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

snapperboy
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback red

Post by snapperboy »

GoneFishn wrote:Found this it may be of help for others too.
Buoyancy is the net upward force on any object submerged in a fluid. Most of us are familiar with the fact that we feel lighter when we get in a swimming pool, ocean, or bathtub. Anyone who has tried to push a beach ball under water has felt the substantial upward (buoyant) force on the ball. The size of the buoyant force is a property of the volume of the object and the density of the fluid the object is in: it is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the submerged object. For example, a submerged 2-liter bottle would displace 2 liters of water, which weigh about 20 Newtons (N), so the buoyant force on that bottle would be 20 N in the upward direction. If you filled the same 2-liter bottle with sand, it would weigh a lot more than 20 N, and it would sink because the buoyant force would be less than the object’s weight. Fill the bottle with oil and it will weigh a bit less than 20 N, and it will float.
So 20newtons=2.03943242kg

So ill have 4.08kg of buoyancy each side. Doesn't sound like much looking at those figures, but there not the primary buoyancy :?
wokka1 wrote:Another thing you might need to consider is the rigidity (or lack of) of the cross arm. Maybe stuff some hardwood dowel in there or something similar.
I also have a set of Hobie sidekicks (the inflatable outriggers). Just did some rough measurements and calcs and i reckon the volume is roughly 20 to 25 litres.

Regards,
Wokka.
I have thought of that and after testing will more than likely need to put in the dowel.
Mordy wrote:Just wondering what is the outside diameter of the bottles to maybe have a straight bit in between
or do you think the two bottles would give enough floation?
Also expanding foam in the bottles? no too much tho or BOOM
On second thoughts the bottles would probably distort too much, you would have to make a mould from the bottles (plaster)

Just floating a few ideas ;)
M

Just snifffed around this site those lobster pots are 5"dia x11" Long How does that compare to the 2Litre bottle?
http://www.yak-gear.com/OUTRIGGERS.html
and a 6x14 lobster pot buoy only 4.99 US, just floating them here is the problem!
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... 4,242.html
I have seen the floats before. I think if the bottles dont work I'll go the larger PVC pipe. Dont know much more the foam would help I'll see how it goes with out first. :up:
Peterj wrote:imagine using 9lt garden sprayer bottles for that
Now theres a thought, and you could prime them up too :evilgrin:
you guys sound like my science teacher :lol:
FORBESY
Square eyes
kayak: Ocean kayak

Post by FORBESY »

GoneFishn wrote:After all my testing with the bottle outriggers I decided to bite the bullet and get the real deal. I went with the inflatable type (BCF) so far so good. I have made up a seat for my daughter in the back and now we are all set to go fishing.
We gave the setup a run over at Indented Head last weekend and we both had a great time (no fishing just paddling around to windy) Once Sienna had enough then it was time to test the outriggers with the sail up. The wind had picked up even more but that just made it even more fun. Not the quickest sail but I think with the stronger wind a smaller sail is easier to handle.
I love the kidy seet :thumbsup:
I think I need to go fishing. PB murry cod 70cm, 42cm KG whiting, grass whiting 34cm, 38cm leather jacket
Esky
kayak: Seak Swift

Post by Esky »

you can buy a proper prao (single outrigger) kit for $200

or a proper trimaran kit for quite cheap

from these guys:

http://www.australiscanoes.com.au/acces ... canoes.php