Outriggers

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Outriggers

Post by GoneFishn »

Ok had an idea. 2lt soft drink bottles.

I just discovered that soft drink bottles fit nicely over the 20mm pvc (outside measurement) :up:

Now imagine 2 2lt bottles end to end (bottom of bottles facing each other) with the PVC through the lot and sealed. Now does that start to look like a ama for an outrigger.
Attachments
SNC00010.jpg
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Re: Outriggers

Post by Peterj »

Lol Geez you must be bored there.

Oly worry is the sealing of it. I made a bait trap out of three of them and i think if you cut the ends off of one , heat it it may slip over the other two ends joining the bottoms and then be able to be taped in place and hence sealed. worth a try :thumbsup:
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

It'll look something like this, the bottle there is only a 1.25lt. The sealing shouldn't be to hard, hoping that a bit of All Clear should do it. But once again its all trial and error (with more error :lol: ) The Ama may be extended out further.
SNC00014 (Medium).jpg
The other thing I have been trying to work out is the Leeboard and so far no luck :twisted:
MitchT
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by MitchT »

Love it Kelly!!
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

I think I might need Elm here, do you think 4lt of air each side would be enough :? The sail is not overly big and so far I have not felt as though Ill get flipped, but in saying that I haven't used the sail In a serious wind yet. The outriggers will more than likely only used when sailing only :up:
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Another thing you might need to consider is the rigidity (or lack of) of the cross arm. Maybe stuff some hardwood dowel in there or something similar.
I also have a set of Hobie sidekicks (the inflatable outriggers). Just did some rough measurements and calcs and i reckon the volume is roughly 20 to 25 litres.

Regards,
Wokka.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Just wondering what is the outside diameter of the bottles to maybe have a straight bit in between
or do you think the two bottles would give enough floation?
Also expanding foam in the bottles? no too much tho or BOOM
On second thoughts the bottles would probably distort too much, you would have to make a mould from the bottles (plaster)

Just floating a few ideas ;)
M

Just snifffed around this site those lobster pots are 5"dia x11" Long How does that compare to the 2Litre bottle?
http://www.yak-gear.com/OUTRIGGERS.html
and a 6x14 lobster pot buoy only 4.99 US, just floating them here is the problem!
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... 4,242.html
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

imagine using 9lt garden sprayer bottles for that
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.

Post by GoneFishn »

Found this it may be of help for others too.
Buoyancy is the net upward force on any object submerged in a fluid. Most of us are familiar with the fact that we feel lighter when we get in a swimming pool, ocean, or bathtub. Anyone who has tried to push a beach ball under water has felt the substantial upward (buoyant) force on the ball. The size of the buoyant force is a property of the volume of the object and the density of the fluid the object is in: it is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the submerged object. For example, a submerged 2-liter bottle would displace 2 liters of water, which weigh about 20 Newtons (N), so the buoyant force on that bottle would be 20 N in the upward direction. If you filled the same 2-liter bottle with sand, it would weigh a lot more than 20 N, and it would sink because the buoyant force would be less than the object’s weight. Fill the bottle with oil and it will weigh a bit less than 20 N, and it will float.
So 20newtons=2.03943242kg

So ill have 4.08kg of buoyancy each side. Doesn't sound like much looking at those figures, but there not the primary buoyancy :?
wokka1 wrote:Another thing you might need to consider is the rigidity (or lack of) of the cross arm. Maybe stuff some hardwood dowel in there or something similar.
I also have a set of Hobie sidekicks (the inflatable outriggers). Just did some rough measurements and calcs and i reckon the volume is roughly 20 to 25 litres.

Regards,
Wokka.
I have thought of that and after testing will more than likely need to put in the dowel.
Mordy wrote:Just wondering what is the outside diameter of the bottles to maybe have a straight bit in between
or do you think the two bottles would give enough floation?
Also expanding foam in the bottles? no too much tho or BOOM
On second thoughts the bottles would probably distort too much, you would have to make a mould from the bottles (plaster)

Just floating a few ideas ;)
M

Just snifffed around this site those lobster pots are 5"dia x11" Long How does that compare to the 2Litre bottle?
http://www.yak-gear.com/OUTRIGGERS.html
and a 6x14 lobster pot buoy only 4.99 US, just floating them here is the problem!
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... 4,242.html
I have seen the floats before. I think if the bottles dont work I'll go the larger PVC pipe. Dont know much more the foam would help I'll see how it goes with out first. :up:
Peterj wrote:imagine using 9lt garden sprayer bottles for that
Now theres a thought, and you could prime them up too :evilgrin:
brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by brettrobo »

GoneFishn wrote: So 20newtons=2.03943242kg

So ill have 4.08kg of buoyancy each side. Doesn't sound like much looking at those figures, but there not the primary buoyancy :?
remember leverage is also a consideration.

if its 20 newtons at the top of the sail and the sail is 2 meters high then you would Need the 2kg of buoyancy to be 2m out from the kayak.
As you half the distance you double tohe buoyancy requirement.

A 2litre bottle when fully submerged will be 2kg of buoyancy but you don’t want situations where it is fully submerged so there are some options.

- Outriggers further than equal to or greater than the ~ average height of the sail
- Larger buoyancy closer in
- The shape of the buoyancy so the craft does not have the tendency to loose its tracking due to drag