Sail out again

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Sail out again

Post by Peterj »

Well i went down to Campbells today for what was really a test for the sail now i fitted the new braces for it.

The wind was ss east so once away from those pesky little shore waves i up with the sail and headed towards the pier. To my surprise it caught the wind and sailed across the wind rather nicely and with the odd bit of help from a stroke or two to keep in line off i went rather easily. It was moving along rather nicely as the strokes really had no resistance behind them at all.

Made a couple of runs with the rods for no result and decided to head back as the wind would have been over my left shoulder. Id say i would have hit about 3 knts and again with the odd easy paddle stroke to keep me straight . Turning to shore and heading with the wind it shot me off like a rocket, the wind picked up and we were off, i reckon 5-6 knts.

The extra size of the sail wasn't a worry on the deck, its hooked under the paddle holder , no worries.
Just need to tend to the mast tension lines as they still let the mast lean a bit to much , but the little supports i made for the bracket worked great.

Darn mozzies were big down there though, they could almost have carried me away

The Aerogaurd scared them off