A.I. maintenance

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

A.I. maintenance

Post by maverick »

After spending the last 2 weeks towing the AI a total of 4,000 k’s - to Portland for 4 straight days on the water, covering 200k’s on the water and then 5 days later to South West Rocks and spending 6 straight days on the water, perhaps not covering as many k’s but certainly in tougher water – I thought I would review the condition A.I.

So while I was away, there were not too many incidents. I did manage to break a nylon Aka retaining pin, not sure how it broke or when, but it was a real bugger to get it out while I was on the water, even using my fishing pliers. I jury rigged a brace with some rope to keep me stable and the Ama out, while I worked on the bolt. It was eventually removed and replaced. Just to add to the complication I actually had the other Ama tucked in at the same time and was nursing a 35kg Marlin on my lap. Fortunately the break occurred when I wasn’t sailing and I was able to pass the marlin to Dave while I worked on the bolt. I will be carrying a couple of spare bolts and a spanner next time.

When I returned home I pulled everything apart and discovered that in the end of some of the Aka’s there were small screws missing or loose in the plastic clips that lock the Aka in place. No idea how these could get loose or even fall out, but they could cause an issue if the plastic clip came off the end of Aka, as it couldn’t be locked into place.
I noticed one of main sheet cleats didn’t appear to move locking into place properly and after a good Inox, it still didn’t work. So I removed it (the first time ever) and noticed that the spring clip in the back of it wasn’t there. There is no way this can fall out once it was screwed into the yak, so it must have been a pre-delivery issue.
While we were away I did replace the pop rivets in 3 of the 4 Aka elbows, as they were quite loose. I had already replaced them in one, before I left for Portland, but the rest came loose while we were away at SWR. They are all being replaced with stainless rivets this week, as the new aluminium ones have come slightly loose again.

The last thing I found was the retaining nut on the mast support had come loose. I know this happened on the last day as I could hear a noise coming from the front end but couldn’t see what it was while I was on the water. This should be easily fixed with a double nut or loctite to prevent it happening again.

So all in all, I am pretty happy but thought I would share for those who may not have looked for or come across these small issues themselves.
20170212_123755.jpg
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Re: A.I. maintenance

Post by chunk9000 »

that's pretty disappointing Maverick, you were only mentioned the marlin twice.

But on a serious note, I haven't been on vyak a great deal recently but just now watched 1 video and read 2 posts about this component failing.
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

Did Mav catch a marlin. :)
With the pin for something that should rarely break it seems to be happening fairly often. ie twice alone in SWR. Would it be worth replacing them prior to big trip just to be on the safe side.

With the Ai you can probably add a few more things to the checklist as compared to other hobies.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

chunk9000 wrote: you were only mentioned the marlin twice.
I must be slipping - I can rectify if you are really upset.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.