It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 21:08

just wondering

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!

just wondering

Postby cheaterparts » 24 Nov 2016, 13:56

if you put a motor on a kayak it becomes a power boat and the regs + safety gear must be up to power boat spec

if you put a sail on a kayak that would include AIs and TIs do you need to upgrade to Yacht safety gear specs

just a thought
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Yellow Eye Mullet 32 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Long Fin Pike 41.5 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 40 hood lenth


cheater
0402 208 657
User avatar
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
 
Posts: 5184
Joined: 29 Mar 2010, 07:04
Location: Cranbourne
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.
Real Name: Stephen-The Mud King

Re: just wondering

Postby bunyip » 24 Nov 2016, 14:59

Depends on who you rub the wrong way when on the water.
There are also specifics like size and waters you are sailing in.
User avatar
bunyip
Qualified Fish Monger
 
Posts: 494
Joined: 29 Jul 2016, 12:50
Location: Lang Lang
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello
Real Name: Iain

Re: just wondering

Postby maverick » 24 Nov 2016, 15:10

Seems to be the same as kayaks, if you look at Off-The-Beach yachts.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
User avatar
maverick
Vyak Addict
 
Posts: 9526
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 21:49
Location: Mornington
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign
Real Name: TopGunPete

Re: just wondering

Postby cheaterparts » 24 Nov 2016, 16:05

maverick wrote:Seems to be the same as kayaks, if you look at Off-The-Beach yachts.


Just adding to that Mav is there any distances off the beach sailers have as restrictions ie off shore or night oops

It was just a thought with more guys running off shore it may be different to the off the beach rules
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Yellow Eye Mullet 32 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Long Fin Pike 41.5 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 40 hood lenth


cheater
0402 208 657
User avatar
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
 
Posts: 5184
Joined: 29 Mar 2010, 07:04
Location: Cranbourne
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.
Real Name: Stephen-The Mud King

Re: just wondering

Postby maverick » 24 Nov 2016, 16:07

cheaterparts wrote:
maverick wrote:Seems to be the same as kayaks, if you look at Off-The-Beach yachts.


Just adding to that Mav is there any distances off the beach sailers have as restrictions ie off shore or night oops

It was just a thought with more guys running off shore it may be different to the off the beach rules


More then 2 nm offshore looks like you need the same as a kayak does offshore. Pretty sure it is a white light as well for night.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
User avatar
maverick
Vyak Addict
 
Posts: 9526
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 21:49
Location: Mornington
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign
Real Name: TopGunPete

Re: just wondering

Postby cheaterparts » 24 Nov 2016, 16:45

maverick wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
maverick wrote:Seems to be the same as kayaks, if you look at Off-The-Beach yachts.


Just adding to that Mav is there any distances off the beach sailers have as restrictions ie off shore or night oops

It was just a thought with more guys running off shore it may be different to the off the beach rules


More then 2 nm offshore looks like you need the same as a kayak does offshore. Pretty sure it is a white light as well for night.


just found this Mav http://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/marit ... -equipment
off the beach sailers is at the bottom of the list

it seams for off the beach more than 2 nm off shore main differences are you must carrry a marine radio not a requirement for a kayak but we still do

and PFD type 1 and a red star parachute rocket are the only differences to kayak safety equipment

inside 2 nm and the bays basicly the same as kayak regs
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Yellow Eye Mullet 32 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Long Fin Pike 41.5 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 40 hood lenth


cheater
0402 208 657
User avatar
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
 
Posts: 5184
Joined: 29 Mar 2010, 07:04
Location: Cranbourne
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.
Real Name: Stephen-The Mud King

Re: just wondering

Postby maverick » 24 Nov 2016, 19:25

My argument would be that the AI & TI are kayaks with sails, not yachts. We have 3 forms of propulsion, a sail, pedals and paddle, and yachts only have 1. So it seems more prudent for them to carry more safety gear. So I will stick with the kayak regs for now. IMHO
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
User avatar
maverick
Vyak Addict
 
Posts: 9526
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 21:49
Location: Mornington
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign
Real Name: TopGunPete


Return to Sailing Yak Scene

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests