Walkerville Pics and Report Sunday 7 Feb.

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Walkerville Pics and Report Sunday 7 Feb.

Post by maverick »

Thinking of heading down to Walkerville on Saturday lunch time and fishing locally then giving the AI a blast down to Cape Liptrap on Sunday. I have access to my mates holiday house on Saturday night, $90 for the night - (3 bedrooms) so if ayone wants to meet up on Saturday and stay Saturday night let me know. We can split the cost. Plan is try and find some east coast Kings.
Last edited by maverick on 08 Feb 2016, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
tightlines
Square eyes
kayak: PA 14

Re: Walkervile & Cape Liptrap Sat & Sunday 6 & 7 Feb.

Post by tightlines »

Would love to but I'll be at a bucks all weekend. I think your biggest decision will be to turn left or right from your launch! Good luck.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Plan B - looking windy on Saturday, probably just do an early start on Sunday.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

maverick wrote:Plan B - looking windy on Saturday, probably just do an early start on Sunday.
i could be lurking in the area out from CV park
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Re: Walkerville Pics and Report Sunday 7 Feb.

Post by maverick »

Headed down with a non VYAKer (but Michael should be on here soon.) Left Mornington and had a pleasant 2 hour drive. Arrived at 6.30 to find about 5 cars already there and the place seemed pretty full. Easy enough on the high tide to drop the trailer on the beach and park the car on the side of the road.

Wandered about 100m and caught a nice 30cm hood squid and then a salmon a few minutes later that went mid 40's. Not a bad frst 30 mins, although I did find fault with the AI, it has 3 hulls and a sail to get squid ink on :?

Anyway, with a gentle following breeze we headed off trolling lures done to the Cape. Probably took about 2 hours and picked up some couta on the way. Passed Bear Gully launch site ,which would be ok on a good day. It was very quiet with no fish breaking up, no birds anywhere and the few boats that we could see were nowhere near where we were heading. Not a good sign. Got to the Cape and flicked some plastic's, trolled some lures and dropped some jigs. Apart from Couta and big Blue Throat, not much else troubled the scorer.

The wind was supposed to swing to the south, but instead freshened from the east, potentially making the trip back very slow into a strengthening head wind. We pulled the pin a little early and started back. The wind only lasted maybe 30 minutes then stopped all together. 9'ks of pedalling later and within a 1k of the launch site the southerly comes through. Time to have some fun, so we sailed around the Walkerville Bay for an hour, having a look at the north beach launch ramp and the caravan park area. Love the AI once the wind is up. :thumbsup:

A nice little launch site if you get there early and it would be great to spend a couple of days exploring the area (but not in peak times).
the Prom coming into view on arrival
the Prom coming into view on arrival
the parking area
the parking area
almost ready to go
almost ready to go
Heading out
Heading out
Salmon & Squid
Salmon & Squid
Cape Liptrap
Cape Liptrap
Cape
Cape
heading back in
heading back in
Packed up and ready to head home (low tide)
Packed up and ready to head home (low tide)
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

I'll be camped there early march. Looking forward to it, probably take the snorkel to have a look see and the rods too
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I was there sunday and monday.
Launched from front of CV park around 7 to the same perfect day, but headed left towards Waratah bay. Sounder plug had failed so was blind as far as depth was concerned, probably followed approx 8m contour line. Kept getting hit by couta too. Drifted a while out deep off waratah bay cv park dragging some couta fillets. One line started wandering around, too fast for banjo and too slow for gummy so was calling it for a PJ, then some fins broke the surface. :o . As I got it yakside turned into a small hammerhead 80-100cm. While working out what to do with it, it casually spat the hook and drifted away.

Trolled back to launch following reef line, water was clear as bell. Didn't see anything else apart from a huge ray that took off from the bottom as I past over. Back on shore obviously before Mav came cruising by.

Monday launched and headed the other way as far as bell point. Only hit was a nice squid on a berkley flicker minnow diver. :up:

Two perfect weather days. Seems most around there were anchoring up and targeting whiting, but I was in tourist mode.

Options for LB down there are practically nil due to rocks
Last edited by laneends on 09 Feb 2016, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

We went looking for you.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

I should have taken my son in to have a look at your AI when we were at SLH last Saturday.
Being a Richmond supporter he would have loved the tiger stripes.