What sail for Outback or just wait for cheep AI

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Glennboy
kayak: Hobie outback

What sail for Outback or just wait for cheep AI

Post by Glennboy »

Thinking of adding a sail to the Outback, not keen on outriggers but will keep eye out for local cheep AI

Looking at a bigger sail than the Hobie sail like ones on ebay either the Supernova 3.4 or Giant 3m sail.

Advice on sail size, prob only use in up to 15 knot wind as thats where I usually pull the pin on going kayak fishing.

Ps Keeping my eye out for a second hand adventure island but also concerned about loading a AI on top of a full size 4x4 on my own as I sometimes struggle with the outback.

I like this sail and have already fitted large rudder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhOff9iCcEg

ps Anyone fitted a windsurfer sail to kayak as second hand windsurfers with multiple sails can be cheeper than the sail alone

Rudder upgrade
Hobie rudder upgrade.jpg
Here is my Yak
Kayak Hume.jpg
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: What sail for Outback or just wait for cheep AI

Post by Wind Waker »

Stick with the hobie sail and outriggers in that kind of wind it already hammers. The outriggers are worth it if you want to avoid turtling it.
Keep the mirage drive straight and when tacking you will soon learn why you should use outriggers ;)

Wanna go faster, then go straight to an AI with a trailer. The outbacks hull is speed limited to about 10km an hour and no matter how hard you try I doubt it would go faster. (Yes it could in theory but reality is a seperate story)
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you seperate hull from amas on adventure, hull will load easier than an outback on roof bars due to longer length (lower angle of lean) and narrowness of hull (easier to get arms round it, less bulk).
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Agreed laneends but tying down the hull, amas and sail is still hard on a jacked 4x4 unless you are 6'3 :)

Plus he is a tackle junkie so a trailer would be easier
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.