Wind Sail Question

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Wind Sail Question

Post by Yako »

Has anyone used or tried to use one of these sails on their yaks, or is it better to use a hobie style sail?
Thanks
Attachments
wind sail.jpg
wind sail.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Wind Sail Question

Post by shane »

Search "windpaddle" in the search box.

They are a downwind sail only so not as versatile as a Hobie or Pacific Action sail that can make some progress into the wind. I keep the medium size in my hull and occasionally pull it out and fit it for windy downwind legs. Best speed I've had with the PAwould be 7-8km/h but that was in winds many people wouldn't venture out in. On the quest it scooted along a bit better but really needs within 45 degrees downwind to be effective.
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

shane wrote:Search "windpaddle" in the search box.

They are a downwind sail only so not as versatile as a Hobie or Pacific Action sail that can make some progress into the wind. I keep the medium size in my hull and occasionally pull it out and fit it for windy downwind legs. Best speed I've had with the PAwould be 7-8km/h but that was in winds many people wouldn't venture out in. On the quest it scooted along a bit better but really needs within 45 degrees downwind to be effective.
Yeah I was thinking specifically for downwind as there would be minimal control on this compared to a sail on a mast.
On the PA did you find it trying to pull the nose down into the water in strong wind (I guess it depends on where one positions its anchor points)?
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Yako wrote: Yeah I was thinking specifically for downwind as there would be minimal control on this compared to a sail on a mast.
On the PA did you find it trying to pull the nose down into the water in strong wind (I guess it depends on where one positions its anchor points)?
Anchor points are the front end of the running boards near the hatch corners. It doesn't seem to pull down at all.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I guess if it's easier to store onboard compared to a mast set up, then you are more likely to use it.