Outback with sail

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Re: Outback with sail

Post by yakhangger »

PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

I have already eyed it off LOL
I'd still put $$ into a new one though just to keep the awesome seat but its a bargain!
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Kiwioz
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback

Post by Kiwioz »

how did you go witht he outback and sail
just about to get one
might have to sort out some rod holders to be angled
let me know how you went.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Love it! Its a crap load of fun. Leaves me wanting an AI everytime :)
Showed my partner the other day in a brisk wind and first thing when back on land was 'when you find another, get it for mine!'

Don't forget to google 'diy furler' as its a good project and very very handy :)
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Kiwioz
kayak: Outback

Post by Kiwioz »

send me the link on a good furler not keen on the hobie one
Nhibbo
kayak: Hobie Outback X 2

Post by Nhibbo »

I've been wondering about sailing one of my outbacks, but won't try it without outriggers (amas). I don't like the aka/amas that Hobie supplies as they look like toys and I haven't seen anything on-line that has grabbed my attention either.
So what to do?
I've just bought an old sailboard for $20 complete with 2 sails on Gumtree.
My aim is to use the sails and mast and then possibly cut down the board to make outriggers or perhaps make new amas by stitch and glue ply. Layered marine ply should also make a decent set of akas and be flexible enough for the amas to give a little (like Marshallese Proa outriggers). Not sure yet how to attach ama, aka and yak, but considering strapping the akas to the hull. I might even be able to make use of the wishbone.
Has anybody else on Vyak tried something similar?
Any ideas?
"We are all apprentices in a craft that none of us can ever master" Ernest Hemingway.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Funny you should ask this question! I pm'd someone last night who showed interest in doing the same, and was wondering if he had gone ahead with it, here's the thread http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... s&start=10
There's an interesting video of a guy in W.A. that turn a PA into a sailing machine, looks good but the outriggers are fixed.

Here's the link to the outriggers ;) https://www.finnkayaks.com/galleries/outriggers/
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Yeah I bought a couple of Winsurfer sails & mast. Made my own furling system & it works as well if not better than the standard PA Sail at a fraction of the cost.
Those blow up AMAS will work ok for stability or you can buy some Finns one from W.A. Like Ray in WA did on his PA12 with Finns (I have spoken with him about his setup). He’s running an A.I now for his offshore fishing, which is probably the best way to fish off a yak Offshore
There is a place in Brighton selling smaller ones in different colours on EBay also.
Sailing is great fun.
I was overseas recently & got to sail a Hobie 14 cat - Whohoo when you get the wind and you have only one hull in the water & you are controlling the main sail so you don’t flip :yahoo:
John 3.16/17
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

My first Hobie was 14 foot cat, in 1983 :lol:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Post by frappa11 »

I have modified and sailed my revo 13. The hobie outriggers are fine and not toys - i sailed in 15 knot winds with gusts to 20 and they did the job fine - which was to "bounce" me off the water when wind gusts hit and give me a bit of time to let out more of the main sheet to stop me from capsizing.

In terms of drag - if you are sailing for speed you should not have the hobie outriggers in the water anyway - you should set it to high position and they should not be touching much water at all.

But then again I have modified my sails with stays in all 4 directions and added a sail boom so I do not get mast bend like the normal hobie sail and can hike out a bit to keep the boat in a near upright position most of the time.