playing with sails again

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

playing with sails again

Post by cheaterparts »

Dont know if anyone has been playing with sails lately , not counting the Hobie AI guys

I have been making a new jigger and cant find anything quite like it on the internet - but its a balanced trianglar rig with some sail in front of where the sail pivots
a bit like a lanteen but with out the short mast that holds the sails yard arm up it also has no bad side like a lanteen

this sail should perform much better than the V sail I did try some time back and should point better
+ being basicly a lanteen style it is easier for me to cut a good shape into the sail from a flat sheet of tarp

the sail I've drawn to start with is about a square meter in size ( 10 1/2 sq ft ) and folds down fairly flat

only 2 ropes needed one to lift the sail ( forstay ) and the sheet to control the sail

the tape measure in the pic in line the the sail pivots around below the tape is where the assembly is mounted on a pivot
the section behind the pivot mount will be removed and infront of the mast and boom mount will be shortened and the front stay on a block
will be mounted on this shortened sprit
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
greenhorn
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Aquayak Snapper

Re: playing with sails again

Post by greenhorn »

Looking good so far!
I know zip about sailing but it looks like a fun way to have a go without spending hundreds on a sailing kit.
Will definitely be checking up on the progress... may even steal some ideas lol :shifty:
What do you make the main mast from? I'm guessing it would need to be fairly strong?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

greenhorn wrote: What do you make the main mast from? I'm guessing it would need to be fairly strong?
I used 15 nb poly pipe with a piece of close fitting wooden dowel inside , it's the same as I used on a vee sail some time back and it seamed to hold up ok on smaller sails

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8866
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
greenhorn
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Aquayak Snapper

Post by greenhorn »

cheaterparts wrote:
I used 15 nb poly pipe with a piece of close fitting wooden dowel inside , it's the same as I used on a vee sail some time back and it seamed to hold up ok on smaller sails

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8866
Nice one, makes sense - light strong and not going to rust.
I remember seeing a guy in Hawaii that had 2 poles screwed together on one end with some fabric Attached in between and he would just split the poles hold on and steer with his foot controlled rudder, very crude version of your vee sail,seemed reasonably effective though as he got up some speed. Would only work down wind though I'm guessing and it would be a bit of a workout on your grip strength lol
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

I fitted my AMA's on the weekend ...all I need now is a sail !! might have to keep an eye on this thread and make my own ;) ;)
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Thanks Cheater, reminds me that I have to re-do my sail. Instead of using Polly tarp I'm going to use ripstop nylon (lighter) should roll up smaller.

For anyone who is not handy at the DIY I came across this one http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cannon-h ... 1057569490
An ocean kayaker by the name of Gnarlydog has been using one of these for a while and gives them high praise.
http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com.au/20 ... o.html?m=1
Rates them higher than the Flatearth sail which is what mine is a copy of.

Here is where I got the dimensions of my sail.
http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com.au/20 ... e.html?m=1