one for the AI owners.......

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
hackonayak
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Prowler13, Hobie ProAngler, Hobie Adventure Island

one for the AI owners.......

Post by hackonayak »

Just curious to see if anyone tethers themself in any way to their Adventure Island when sailing? I was just looking at a youtube clip of a guy that made a "quarter deck" to raise himself up out of the seat which kinda looks cool but it looks like it would be easier to come off the yak in some sort of mishap. Now i know i cleat the sail off when im moving but in doing so if i come off the yak...its gonna leave without me due to the sail being cleated out and full of wind.... :wave1: any thoughts? cheers Paul
l2andom
Square eyes
kayak: Adventure Island, WildySys T140, Outback

Re: one for the AI owners.......

Post by l2andom »

hackonayak wrote:Just curious to see if anyone tethers themself in any way to their Adventure Island when sailing? I was just looking at a youtube clip of a guy that made a "quarter deck" to raise himself up out of the seat which kinda looks cool but it looks like it would be easier to come off the yak in some sort of mishap. Now i know i cleat the sail off when im moving but in doing so if i come off the yak...its gonna leave without me due to the sail being cleated out and full of wind.... :wave1: any thoughts? cheers Paul

I actually had the same question, just never asked it. I've seen guys in other parts of the world tether themselves to their yaks, so it made me think of AI owners. Would love to see the thoughts/responses to this :up:
tonystott
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Tandem Island

Post by tonystott »

I tether myself when offshore. I am aware that unless you are wearing a serious safety harness, you run the risk of the tether breaking if connected to your PFD etc, so I added a loop about 80cm up from the caribiner, so if I go overboard, I can grabe the loop to cope with the initial shock when the line goes taught.

Some people suggest that you could be in trouble if dragged behind while the thing sails along with mainsheet cleated, but this is BS. Yesterday, I tested how little real power is generated by the sail, and just by sticking one leg over the side, up to 20cm below the knee, speed dropped by 1.5 knots. I believe that there would never be enough power generated by the sail to drag someone behind.

That said, I believe a tether is vital on an Island, as it would hardly require any wind for the vessel to drift faster than someone could swim, even with the sail furled.
2012 Hobie Tandem Island
"SIC EM"
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

At the moment no but as I seem to go out further with each trip it might worth considering ,maybe a trial could tell me if the yak drags you through the water while tethered but I would need backup just in case things go pear shaped
Yeah I have watching some of those vids on the custom made seats for the AI,very interesting indeed :evilgrin:
mob 0423 492 759
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

cruiser wrote:At the moment no but as I seem to go out further with each trip it might worth considering ,maybe a trial could tell me if the yak drags you through the water while tethered but I would need backup just in case things go pear shaped
Yeah I have watching some of those vids on the custom made seats for the AI,very interesting indeed :evilgrin:
I'll back ya up Geoff :thumbsup:
When you jump off I'll jump on and leave the outback behind for ya :yahoo: :yahoo:
You may not get the AI back :lol: :lol:
Brett
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Bretty wrote:
cruiser wrote:At the moment no but as I seem to go out further with each trip it might worth considering ,maybe a trial could tell me if the yak drags you through the water while tethered but I would need backup just in case things go pear shaped
I'll back ya up Geoff :thumbsup:
When you jump off I'll jump on and leave the outback behind for ya :yahoo: :yahoo:
You may not get the AI back :lol: :lol:
:bird:
mob 0423 492 759