FIRST TRIP

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
rayso
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Adventure Island

FIRST TRIP

Post by rayso »

Went to Westernport yesterday 27/10 for my first sail in the AI. Fished wide of Reef Island for one small Gummy and found the temperature less than pleasant. Had a chatto 6fiddy on the way out, he ended up with a nice feed for his efforts. Note to self Hobie spray jacket and rapid dry shirt is not enough upper clothing at this time of year. I then pulled the anchor and pointed the nose toward Rhyll and went for a sail in probably 10 to 15 knot winds, perfect for my requirements. In no time at all I was approaching an area known as the corals. Had a sail in different directions for a while and headed back in. Most impressed as to how well these things perform as apart from a test demo this was my first sailing experience. Still yet to work out the best sail trim in different directions but that will improve with more use and dialouge with other AI owners. I think most times I had the tell tails doing the correct thing. To be able to move around on the Tramps is of great benifit to relieve oneself of troublesome back pain. Cant wait to get a bit more experience, get the additional rod holders and sounder/gps fitted and get offshore in warmer conditions. :D
Last edited by rayso on 28 Oct 2013, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
It's more fun doing it on a yak and even more fun with a sail
0429 622004
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: FIRST TRIP

Post by shane »

Congratulations on the first sail Rayso. Seems like you're going to be very happy with it. :up:
0408 565 763
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Well done on your first trip in the AI Rayso.Its a great feeling when the yak takes off when some good wind comes along :up: 2nd time out for me yesterday and even in 6 knots of wind she can scoot along .I wear sharkskins underneath and dont have any problems with the cold

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Post by Pog »

Was great to catch up "Rayso" when you finally got home.........(even though you were asleep in the ute)!!! The 'AI' is certainly an impressive bit of kit, & you are going to have loads of fun in it I bet.

Cheers,

"POG" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: