Improved Vee sail

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Improved Vee sail

Post by cheaterparts »

Time to do some improvements to the sail which has been slowly tuned from its first sail back in march 2012

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8879

it was a down wind only sail back then and although it did reach a bit there wasn't enough support in the set up to hold a sail shape

by july 2012 I had changed the foot mounts and got the feet more stable with the masts staying in one place it was easier to get some shape in the sail

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9285

since then some tightning on the bungy stays has worked even better

one of my last trips I tacked my way into shore so I had the sail drawing fairly well and it does point to wind ok
I still have to paddle onto each tack but thats a draw back with a Vee sail
I still need lee boards and have found if I place the paddle in the water as a lee board it sails quite well and as I said it does point
Vee sails are more than a down wind sail with a bit of tinkering

So the next mods I'm doing is to use a 25 x 25 aluminium tube as a sail mount

this mount between the stainless rod holder mounts and a mount to be made at the bow
new mast feet will be a much better hinge system that doesn't slide around on the deck like the ones I have now
the sail size atm is 1.1 square meter and I wont to build a 1.5 meter sail
I've even thought of putting a couple of short battens in the leech to see if it control the sail shape a bit more

and with the aluminium tube mount I have somewhere to mount lee boards at first these will be adjustable foward and back to find a happy spot
also the whole sail and lee board will be quick to fit and remove as an assembly

at this stage I still wont bother with a rudder the paddle is to handy to brace when the guts get strong
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: Improved Vee sail

Post by Ghurkin »

its getting there Cheater :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
skip
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Aqua Yak Scout

Post by skip »

Looking pretty good there cheater, move over Ben Lexcen.
Hey mate, wouldn't mind having a snoop aound ya shed :wave1:
Cheers
Skip
Cheers
Skip
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

skip wrote:Looking pretty good there cheater, move over Ben Lexcen.
Hey mate, wouldn't mind having a snoop aound ya shed :wave1:
Cheers
Skip
luv a good shed snoop myself Skip :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Extend that bar further forward and will be able to run a spinnaker too :D
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

skip wrote: Hey mate, wouldn't mind having a snoop aound ya shed :wave1:
Skip
all pretty std stuff in my shed Skip just a 2 meter between centre lathe , a milling machine , 8' sheet metal folder . mill drill set up with a rotary table , a couple of Tig units and a couple of Migs
3 Phase power

you know all the std stuff
GoneFishn wrote:Extend that bar further forward and will be able to run a spinnaker too :D
I might leave the small bow sprit section to fit the bungies a bit further foward - in fact I wont to move the mast bases a bit
further foward and way so when the sail is folded down the masts ( which will be longer ) dont get in the way oif paddling
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

built a little bit more tonight , the stainless steel mount for the mast pivots welded and fitted to the aluminium tube mount
I hope to do the mast pivots tomorrow

it would be good to get the new sail mount up and running for the W/E to road test with maybe a lee board
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Post by Deefa »

Nice setup.
And your sail rig is pretty good, too.

How many more kg of metal can you put on your yak before you hit the weight limit? ;)
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Deefa wrote:How many more kg of metal can you put on your yak before you hit the weight limit? ;)

I dont Know it hasn't sunk yet --

the rod mounts are stainless but quite light for there strenth and the sail mount is aluminium and again quite light
the kayak has a max weight of 150 Kg and I'm probably about 90 to 95 Kg dressed to play so theres a bit of room to move with add ons
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Graybalz85
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA (Sponge Bob)

Post by Graybalz85 »

Interested to know Steve if u've finished this yet??
Yak PB: Leatherjacket 35.5cm, elephant fish 69.5cm, salmon 44cm, Whiting 38cm, squid (30cm Hood), Gummy 104cm, Flathead 34cm, Travelly 40cm, Pinkie 36cm