Adventure island owners???

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Re: Adventure island owners???

Post by Drifta-X »

Hey billy how do you transport your ai being only 15years old?
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
Mish
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Adventure Island

Post by Mish »

Mike, is that where your profile pic is taken from? Looks a lot like cape woolamai in the background with you chilling on the sandbar at low tide....
And yeah I spend most of my time out in the heads around cape woolamai and around to woolamai surf beach, with a far bit of fishing also done in the inlet, ocean side of the bridge.
Been to Cat bay before I had my AI, where do you guys launch from to get there? I hated the carry down those stairs at Cat Bay.
Yak PB's: 1.5m+ (15kg) Gummy Shark, 51cm Salmon, 63cm Snapper, 46cm Whiting, 65cm Barracouta, 43cm Silver Travalley.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Mish wrote:Been to Cat bay before I had my AI, where do you guys launch from to get there? I hated the carry down those stairs at Cat Bay.
Ventnor Beach Rd may be an option and just peddle/sail around. On an outgoing tide it should be a quick trip into Cat bay.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote:
Mish wrote:Been to Cat bay before I had my AI, where do you guys launch from to get there? I hated the carry down those stairs at Cat Bay.
Ventnor Beach Rd may be an option and just peddle/sail around. On an outgoing tide it should be a quick trip into Cat bay.
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14760

I launched there only a few weeks ago and the ramp down to the beach is easy wide enough to wheel your AI up and down to the beach
outrigger folded in of cause - nor sure if theres enough room between the posts at the top though

the return trip up the hill ( ramp ) is a fairly hard slog even with my kingfished s0 with heavier units like your AI it would be better to go whith a mate that can help you up the hill

hope that is some help
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Mish wrote:Mike, is that where your profile pic is taken from? Looks a lot like cape woolamai in the background with you chilling on the sandbar at low tide...
Yep, that's the spot - one of my secret locations, but I see you've been there too!

Mike.
fishingbay
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie adventure island

Post by fishingbay »

Drifta: On top of dads car or you can give me a ride lol

I'm the same as you mingle, I really enjoy the sailing and exploring and if I happen to catch a fish on the troll it's just a good bonus. Ill send you a pm and see if we can organise anything.
Spiegel35
kayak: Revo 13

Re: Adventure island (new or used)?

Post by Spiegel35 »

Hi guys,
Unsure whether to get a AI new or used.
I have a fairly smallish car with a roof rack with holders installed to keep my existing 4metre kayak bottom up. I tie it down at both bonnet and boot ends. is it feasible to transport the AI using this setup. I guess I would have to remove the amas and put them on top of the kayak and tie down like that.
Can't decide whether to buy a used or new one. Some talk about the slippage without the big rudder at high speed. Any other differences.
Any thoughts would be most helpful.
Anyone selling one or how to get a good deal.
Cheers. : :thumbsup:
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: Adventure island (new or used)?

Post by mingle »

Spiegel35 wrote:Unsure whether to get a AI new or used.
If you keep an eye on eBay or Gumtree, you might be lucky enough to find one, but they do seem to
be one of those models that people hang onto. I guess a new one would cost around $4.5K, so they're
not cheap. A used one would be bewteen $3500 - 4000, I'd say...
Spiegel35 wrote:I have a fairly smallish car with a roof rack... is it feasible to transport the AI using this setup.
I guess I would have to remove the amas and put them on top of the kayak and tie down like that.
I drive 2003 Kia Rio hatch and manage to move the A.I. around fairly easily. I use soft roof-racks and carry the
hull (upside-down) and the mast/sail on the roof. The AMAS just fit inside the car and all the rest of the gear is
carried in a large holdall. The hardest part of teh operation is actually getting the hull onto the roof, but I have
a system worked out now.
Spiegel35 wrote:Some talk about the slippage without the big rudder at high speed. Any other differences.
The newer models have a bigger rudder and can also be upgraded to the new 'shark-fin' rudder, which is supposed to
be much stronger. I've heard lots of people who've never had any issues with the rudder. The older model has a better
(in my opinion) method of attaching the AKAS to the crossbars, much simpler. Other than that they are very similar.

Cheers,

Mike.
Serge
kayak: RED - Adventure Island.

Post by Serge »

I'm going to be getting a new AI very soon. Can't wait just want to first get everything else I may need before the big purchase so as I can just go out and not worry about having to buy all the extra little bits and pieces. So I'll be contacting you guys soon for a sail/fish.
For CCTV, Intercom, Access control or Alarm system please contact Serge on 0419 136 081. Service and installations.
Spiegel35
kayak: Revo 13

Post by Spiegel35 »

Hi serge,
Did you weigh up a new against and old AI. Interested in your thoughts if you did.
Planning to get one ASAP too.
Where do you go kayaking?