sit in kayaks :down: :up:

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
jef0004
kayak: kayak

sit in kayaks :down: :up:

Post by jef0004 »

hi there are sit in kayaks good for fishing or not i just picked one up from garage sail for 200 dollars it has a rod holder. i am only 14 and dont have to much to spend on it. i will be doing must of my fishing at patto and frankston area.
please help. :?:
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie outback

Re: sit in kayaks :down: :up:

Post by DOMINATOR »

The majority of Kayaks used on this site are sit on top. The big difference is the length and width etc. The longer and wider the better for stability comfort in the ocean/bay. The shorter ones tend to be a bit unstable in a bit of chop. Weather should be good tomorrow and Sunday to head out for a little play to get comfortable with its use and limitations. Make sure u have a paddle leash pfd safety is paramount! Best of luck plenty of people on the site willing to give out info and can search old posts! Would help if u put up a picture or the brand and model of kayak. Anything is a start if it is smaller you just have to be more picky about the days that you head out or stick to sheltered areas and estuaries/rivers.
ANYONE NEEDING A FULLY LICENSED AND INSURED ELECTRICIAN CONTACT DOM ON 0409135701
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

It depends on what you mean by "good". For you, it might be perfect. For others, maybe not.
There's not much to go on from your post, but I'd be assuming there is limited storage area on the kayak and it might be a bit unstable (tippy).
That's not to say that you can't fish out of it. I've seen people fishing from sit in kayaks before, so it can be done.
Ultimately, I think you'll be able to make the decision yourself after you practice using the yak.
Once you're comfortable with the yak, then think about all the extra things you'll need when fishing.
If you are proficient with the kayak, adding a rod and some lures to the mix might be easy for you.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

My first many many years ago was a sit in with rear rod holders, majority of my fishing is/was trolling so it worked a treat with a small tackle box strapped to the front deck. Next to no storage and far more likely to tip reaching behind yourself. As the others have said depends on the make/model.
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Also with a sit in, in choppy conditions unless you have the spray skirt you run the risk of flooding the kayak.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

jef0004 wrote:hi there are sit in kayaks good for fishing or not i just picked one up from garage sail for 200 dollars it has a rod holder. i am only 14 and dont have to much to spend on it. i will be doing must of my fishing at patto and frankston area.
please help. :?:
my suggestion liam is read the safety section, keep your eyes open and ask to join in with a group of us going out or put your own post up about where you plan to go fishing, im sure a few others will join in, stay safe and catch some fish dude. :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Post by cbarker54 »

Fished outta a SIK for 12 months before I got my outback. Whilst it didn't have a heap of storage and was a pain in the butt in the chop it did its job and got me out on the water and fishin.

Ya just gotta learn ya limits and you'll make mods to suit your yak. I still had a sounder mounted, rocket launchers, anchor trolley and rod holders and did a few big treks with guys who had hobies no worries.

I say get on the water first (safely of course so read the safety section) then worry about spendin money on a hobie or any other SOK.
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
jef0004
kayak: kayak

Post by jef0004 »

:clap: thanks for all the help
twavvy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Perception Swing

Post by twavvy »

In the smaller river systems where you need manueverability (spell??) and the ability to turn on a dime they can be awesome. I saw a guy smash bream on vibes at the Aire river a few years ago in one. :up:

All the best mate
Trav