My Lure Collection

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

My Lure Collection

Post by Babylon »

20171126_103556.jpg
This is my Td collection 3 of being Complete.Cheers JIm
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Re: My Lure Collection

Post by BKA »

Awesome collection :up:
Just checked the dozen or so in my tackle box but unfortunately don't have any of your missing ones to donate.
Cheers.
Bayside Kayak Angler
Sandringham Anglers' Club
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Very impressive. I may have been able to help but the uncounted number of Devils I've had over my life were collected by logs (obvious pun but someone was gonna say it).

They are useful lures and I really have lost quite a few to snags.

Going back to the 60s and 70s, I far preferred a Floppy. I left a lot of those on logs in the Murray River, as well. My last was tossed out after the rubber went off. People are now asking $30-40 for Floppy lures as a collector item.
http://www.ozibat.com/floppy-lure
Maybe 40-50 years after Devils cease being made, your collection will will make you rich :evilgrin:

Another favourite in the 60s & 70s was the Hogback (I can still imagine the sound of one hitting the water). The copper colour was dynamite for Redfin around weedbeds where I fished the Murray. {Yes, there were massive beds or weed in the Murray before Carp arrived on the scene. In summer, in the 60s you could see the bottom of the river, too.} The chrome Hogbacks did not seem to be as effective. Gillies still make what may be a clone but I'm not sure about the Gillies colours matching the old lure colours. Irrespective, unlike many old lures that worked as well as modern lures, the Hogback design seems to have stood the test of time.
http://www.jmgillies.com.au/product/hogback/

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

Steve_R wrote:Very impressive. I may have been able to help but the uncounted number of Devils I've had over my life were collected by logs (obvious pun but someone was gonna say it).

They are useful lures and I really have lost quite a few to snags.

Going back to the 60s and 70s, I far preferred a Floppy. I left a lot of those on logs in the Murray River, as well. My last was tossed out after the rubber went off. People are now asking $30-40 for Floppy lures as a collector item.
http://www.ozibat.com/floppy-lure
Maybe 40-50 years after Devils cease being made, your collection will will make you rich :evilgrin:

Another favourite in the 60s & 70s was the Hogback (I can still imagine the sound of one hitting the water). The copper colour was dynamite for Redfin around weedbeds where I fished the Murray. {Yes, there were massive beds or weed in the Murray before Carp arrived on the scene. In summer, in the 60s you could see the bottom of the river, too.} The chrome Hogbacks did not seem to be as effective. Gillies still make what may be a clone but I'm not sure about the Gillies colours matching the old lure colours. Irrespective, unlike many old lures that worked as well as modern lures, the Hogback design seems to have stood the test of time.
http://www.jmgillies.com.au/product/hogback/
One Tassie Devil I dont have is fetching new on Card around $600 to $700 mightn't have to wait 40 to 50 years. :evilgrin: :evilgrin: JIm
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Wow nice collection, now i know what the devil is and i think i have one in one of my my tackle boxes shall check tomorrow hmm today.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Babylon wrote: One Tassie Devil I dont have is fetching new on Card around $600 to $700 mightn't have to wait 40 to 50 years. :evilgrin: :evilgrin: JIm
That's almost enough to inspire me to start checking my old lures but none have original packing. History teaches nothing. I still have the habit of removing lures from packaging and putting them into the lure carrier.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Hmm my edit didn't stay, i must have been to tired and closed the page b4 posting lol
Anyway it looks like your no 55 but the lines are different, could it be a copy?
Tassie.jpg
I also pulled this up in the same weed pile
20171127_010205.jpg
aren't they freshwater lures?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

peatop wrote: Anyway it looks like your no 55 but the lines are different, could it be a copy?
With the eyes at the top it's most likely a Tillins Cobra, very similar to a tassie but different make. Good luck finding your missing no.s Jim, I suspect No.2 will be very difficult as I'm not sure it was ever properly cataloged. Maybe mount them on timber with S/S wire looped through each one not in a pack when you're done.
0408 565 763
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

shane wrote:
peatop wrote: Anyway it looks like your no 55 but the lines are different, could it be a copy?
With the eyes at the top it's most likely a Tillins Cobra, very similar to a tassie but different make. Good luck finding your missing no.s Jim, I suspect No.2 will be very difficult as I'm not sure it was ever properly cataloged. Maybe mount them on timber with S/S wire looped through each one not in a pack when you're done.
Correct on Both counts.Babylon :thumbsup:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

If anyone's able to help Jim fill his collection this is what he's looking for:

#2 - No pictures I know of but it looked like No.7 lady beetle but was blue with 7 black dots

#11 & #61 - Pictured below:
0408 565 763