Phuket fishing tackle shops

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
Fishingmad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie pro angler 14

Phuket fishing tackle shops

Post by Fishingmad »

Going to phuket in three weeks and hoping to get some good fishing gear cheap. Has anyone been to any of the shops over there or could they recommend some. Looking to buy hooks, squid jigs and soft plastics. Thanks in advance
Fishingmad
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Phuket fishing tackle shops

Post by shane »

A bit of info here:

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... le#p193765

Wokka is the man you need to talk to.
0408 565 763
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

I haven't been to Phuket in about 4 years and even then any visits there were with a non fishing mate so I didn't find any tackle shops. From memory there is nothing in Patong (which I assume is where you'll be staying). There are bound to be some in Phuket town or Chalong but finding info on their location could be difficult. There is a Sport fishing club based in Rawaii so a bit of Google time might turn up a contact there or there may be some info on Trip advisor or Thai visa forums and they in turn might put you onto some shops.

In general it's only the last couple of years that I've started to see a decent range of soft plastics turning up in the larger Bangkok stores and only dribs and drabs in places like Chiang mai, Koh Samui and Pattaya. Terminal tackle is cheap but, logically, leans toward local species and fishing methods. Squid jigs I've never taken too much notice of but you see a lot of cheaper stuff in the smaller shops. It's only the larger Bangkok shops where I've seen Brand names.

The other thing working against you at the moment is the exchange rate. In that previous thread I was getting 31 baht per dollar so my Baitrunner 8000D cost me $165 ish Aus. My last trip I was getting 25 to the dollar so that same reel would have been around $ 200...a loss of roughly 20 % buying power and no longer a bargain. Right now the best rate you'll get on the street is around 26.2 and it's easing and will ease further if the Reserve bank gets what it wants with the Aus $. If you are exchanging at the Airport on arrival or (and say it ain't so) exchanging HERE before you go then you are already down a couple of baht to the dollar on the street rate.

Ya gotta be able to do your maths on the spot (or use your phone calculator) and have a good idea of the cost over here. There are still some deals, Gamefish in Bangkok is good for Fish arrow plastics. They cost me $ 8 last time and still only $ 10 this time. Usually $ 14 plus over here.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Fishingmad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie pro angler 14

Post by Fishingmad »

Thanks wokka1 yea we are staying in patong found one on the internet called nanai tackle which I will check out. I wool post when I get home. Also going to have a day fish at the freshwater park for catfish pacu etc.
fishing mad
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

It doesn't surprise me that there is something up on Nanai...more of a local oriented area. I've fished the park before (if it's the one opposite the Izuzu dealer). Back in 2011 2012 ish a Guy from Kyneton had started managing it, don't know if that's still the case.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other