The evolution of VYAK

Our policy and site announcements(Upgrades/migrations, etc)
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: The evolution of VYAK

Post by Babylon »

Herbie mate .at the end of the day V-yak will still be here no matter what happens and that's all we want .cheers Jim :thumbsup:
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

herbie wrote: Fair enough, sounds like a storm in a teacup that will die a natural death in a week or so.
I think herbie is on the money with this call.
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

GoneFishn wrote:
herbie wrote: Fair enough, sounds like a storm in a teacup that will die a natural death in a week or so.
I think herbie is on the money with this call.
If so that's fine Kelly .but this has given anybody that wants more to do something about it .cheers Jim :thumbsup:
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Post by yakgear »

:) this is the right place..

i can see a 'kayak fishing clubs & social groups' section opening up like kfdu has.

i still like the idea of a victorian kayak fishing co-op. though with more pull comes more rules, fees and legislation.

yak-gear will still throw in some prizes for special days out where everyone gets together...
cheaterparts
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

vikodin wrote: As far as I'm aware the last few had nothing to do with Vyak admin and were totally organised by members as were the sponsors and food. I know St Leonards and Mudbrothers were anyway and the way I read the above is that doesn't need to change (maybe just list the thread in the external comps)
Or stuff the comp tag and just call it a meet and great, I like most don't care for comps anyway its just the social aspect that makes me want to attend.

you are quite right Jaryd most events have been done by members and not by the admin - however that puts the organiser in danger of the same problem with liability
by the way the events have gone from streath to steath, a couple of years ago it was a meet up of a few mates.
of late we have had some great sponcers putting up some great goodies and the events have grown into fishing comps

so what if something does go wrong at an event and some one get hurt or worse who ends up in court - maybe not Vyak ,but does that mean the member that has put the event up spends some time in court - for the st lenards event that would have been you and bretty - this W/E Prazs house is on the line of cause none of us wont this
first of cause we dont wont anyone getting hurt - we also done wont to see members or sponcers put in the situation where they could end up in court and worse could end up out of pocket

calling an event a meet and greet is still an an event that is organised without public liability as soon as other punters are invited it can become a problem for liability for who ever puts on the event

I also like the layed back way we have an event - the guys that have put them on like your self have done a great job they have been a lot of fun
but I dont think its fair to put members or spocers in danger of being sued

putting up an inc club is the safest way to protect everyone involved in running an event
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
stonecoldpj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Emotion G/S

Post by stonecoldpj »

Have just read the thread from start to finish and its kinda funny how the first half is all for it and then the second half is kind of down on the idea, I can see everybodys pints and I know Ive only been here for a year but I am happy to do what ever, as long as VYAk still stays as it is in the form of meeting like minded individuals then thats great! I like others have made some grea friends (well one anyway) due to this site and Id hate to see it go downhill. If there is a seperate room for club members then I would be happy to see that too, I dont believe anyone should put them self at risk of litigation if S#!^ hits the fan (and it only takes one person or incident).
Kind of fence sitting but but as the tittle says its "evolved" and getting bigger and bigger and thats great, but people still have to cover their asses.
Good luck with it all mods & admin blokes alike. Looking forward to seeing the next phase.
PJ

P/B.... Snapper 70cm (4.5kg), Flatty 45cm
Babylon

Post by Babylon »

stonecoldpj wrote:Have just read the thread from start to finish and its kinda funny how the first half is all for it and then the second half is kind of down on the idea, I can see everybodys pints and I know Ive only been here for a year but I am happy to do what ever, as long as VYAk still stays as it is in the form of meeting like minded individuals then thats great! I like others have made some grea friends (well one anyway) due to this site and Id hate to see it go downhill. If there is a seperate room for club members then I would be happy to see that too, I dont believe anyone should put them self at risk of litigation if S#!^ hits the fan (and it only takes one person or incident).
Kind of fence sitting but but as the tittle says its "evolved" and getting bigger and bigger and thats great, but people still have to cover their asses.
Good luck with it all mods & admin blokes alike. Looking forward to seeing the next phase.
Pj. The next phase is up to the people who want grow and become a club.
V-yak itself will remain the same minus comps thus removing any liability.
It is a place to chat exchange ideas and generally help each other out and always will be.Babylon
stonecoldpj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Emotion G/S

Post by stonecoldpj »

Yeah I get that Babylon and am utterly thankful for that, was just saying I see both sides of the argument for and against, just giving feedback bro (from a fairly junior members point of view)
PJ

P/B.... Snapper 70cm (4.5kg), Flatty 45cm
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

Haynsie wrote:Really? All that mucking around, incorporation, committees, fundraising, insurance, RULES?! :wtf:

I understand there's liability issues with comps, so don't have comps (or sponsors) and keep it informal and social. If people are that serious about wanting to compete, there's already a calendar full of well run, insured comps out there that anyone can enter (ABT, Tea Tree, Club Comps etc), with great prizes and serious bragging rights.

Sounds like we're taking a simple thing and making it difficult, when at the end of the day it's just about catching up with mates and going for a fish, which we do pretty well already.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Tim

Sums it up well for me; Vyak suits me just fine as is, I have zero interest in being a member of a paid club.
Certainly appreciate that others would like a formal club, just not my cup of tea :)
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

cheaterparts wrote: this W/E Prazs house is on the line of cause none of us wont this

Thanks Cheater, I live in a Dole house and dont mind giving it away for a nominal price :up:
Praz