Asian Seared Tuna

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Asian Seared Tuna

Post by Reeling »

Well the wife and I decided to try and do the Tuna justice last night and cooked up a Jamie Oliver dish - with added glass noodles and edamame beans. It turned out delicious! and so tender.

The recipe for those interested:
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fis ... ared-tuna/

Nath

p.s. 2 steaks down....340 to go :D
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: Asian Seared Tuna

Post by vicyak »

That looks so good. What time do you want us over for dinner. I'll bring 50 vyak mates over.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Looks great, love the presentation, will give that one a try!

After 3 dinner parties with friends and family and pretty much eating tuna once or twice a day we've finally whittled down the pile of vacuum sealed portions to a about 3kgs, did a Hawaiian Poke style last night for friends. Surprisingly even after a week it's still great as Sashimi, pretty much been the best tasting fish I've ever had.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Nice presentation Nath. I used up the last of our tuna in a salad ;last night. Basically a large Greek style salad with plenty of vinaigrette then belly and abdomen cuts seared/charred, sliced and mixed through. The family considered it the best way they've eaten tuna to date.
Smish wrote: Surprisingly even after a week it's still great as Sashimi, pretty much been the best tasting fish I've ever had.
You're braver with your stomach than I am! I give away a lot of tuna to colleagues and don't recommend any of them use it as sashimi as it's usually 2 days old at that point. Around 4 days is generally my limit for eating it fresh. The next time I get 2 tuna I'll be preserving a lot of it in jars similar to what Lobo did.
0408 565 763
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Thanks guys, Thought I'd share back to the community that made my catch possible :cheers:

Certainly one to do again.

[quote="Smish"]Looks great, love the presentation, will give that one a try!

Wow Andrew - certainly braver than I, although sometimes I do feel the guidelines are sometimes over cautious.

I dare say that next time (hopefully there is a next time and I'm not being presumptuous), I'd also like to preserve some into jars.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

I had about 600 grams of belly flap Sashimi for breakfast yesterday, smelled fresh, hasn't oxidised... and I'm still here to talk about it. I vacuum sealed large portions that were patted dry and turned the fridge up until our sparkling mineral water started to go slushy, I like to keep it at a temp that isn't going to freeze the meat because you don't want ice crystals breaking down the cell walls but just slightly above freezing to restrict bacteria.

The tuna when I caught it was immediately bled then gilled and gutted not long after, I stuffed the belly and head with ice bricks which did the trick on the way back to Wally's. The fish barely fit in the boot of the car with all my other crap (No esky even close to big enough) but I managed to get it organised and pack ice bricks all around it, I then drove to Warrnambool freezing to death because I had the aircon at full blast, I had condensation on the windows outside the car by the time I got to Richardson Marine and bought one of those big insulated fish bags and 10kg of shaved ice which did the trick. I kept draining the water and adding more ice until I got a chance to dress the fish which I did in a very clean space with almost sterile knives, I didn't want to do it at some skanky boat ramp cleaning table in the heat.
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Don't get me wrong, I was not suggesting that your prep would have been to blame - and knowing the exact treatment from hooking to eating, is a major factor into knowing when it is still good to eat!

It sounds like very similar method to what I had to do with the aircon on full blast until I could get to Portland Bait & Tackle to get myself some flaked ice. :D

Smish
Lord of the fish

Post by Smish »

All good sorry if it sounded like I was mansplaining. :)

I didn't want people thinking I was recklessly feeding friends and family catfood grade sashimi! :lol:

Getting the fish into the kayak was the easy bit, getting it home in good nick was more of a challenge... and expensive.