Indian Curry Fish feat. Aust Salmon

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Chunqx
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Indian Curry Fish feat. Aust Salmon

Post by Chunqx »

Let me firstly say that everytime I hook an Aussie salmon bigger than 1kg, the first thing that comes to my mind is this Indian Fish Curry. Its as though salmon were made for this curry. You could use any other fish for this curry, but this curry is best with oily strong fish like salmon or snotty-nosed trevally. People think the spices and the flavour of the curry masks the strong taste and smell of the salmon but its actually the other way round. The salmon makes the curry.

Second point. This is a Malaysian Indian fish curry, which is closer to the southern Indian style of curries using coconut milk rather than the Northern Indian cuisine.

Thirdly, there's the easy way to do this, the harder way to do this and real Indian way of doing this. For my dinner last night, I did the harder way. The authentic Indian way of doing this involves grinding a number of individual spices together to make the curry paste. I bypassed this step and used premixed fish curry powder instead.

I'll just put up the easy way to do this as its probably the most friendly way to introduce this curry to anyone trying it for the first time. The harder way will literally smoke up your whole house and leave your house and every fabric in it smelling like indian curry. I cook outside hence avoiding this fate and the wrath of my wife.

The easy way involves getting the packet mix for the fish curry. You can buy this at most Asian grocery stores and there are probably a few brands that make this but the only one I'd vouch for is the Brahim brand. (picture attached).
Attachments
Brahim Fish curry.jpg
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Re: Indian Curry Fish feat. Aust Salmon

Post by Hammertime »

Chunqx wrote:Let me firstly say that everytime I hook an Aussie salmon bigger than 1kg, the first thing that comes to my mind is this Indian Fish Curry. Its as though salmon were made for this curry. You could use any other fish for this curry, but this curry is best with oily strong fish like salmon or snotty-nosed trevally. People think the spices and the flavour of the curry masks the strong taste and smell of the salmon but its actually the other way round. The salmon makes the curry.

Second point. This is a Malaysian Indian fish curry, which is closer to the southern Indian style of curries using coconut milk rather than the Northern Indian cuisine.

Thirdly, there's the easy way to do this, the harder way to do this and real Indian way of doing this. For my dinner last night, I did the harder way. The authentic Indian way of doing this involves grinding a number of individual spices together to make the curry paste. I bypassed this step and used premixed fish curry powder instead.

I'll just put up the easy way to do this as its probably the most friendly way to introduce this curry to anyone trying it for the first time. The harder way will literally smoke up your whole house and leave your house and every fabric in it smelling like indian curry. I cook outside hence avoiding this fate and the wrath of my wife.

The easy way involves getting the packet mix for the fish curry. You can buy this at most Asian grocery stores and there are probably a few brands that make this but the only one I'd vouch for is the Brahim brand. (picture attached).
Do you fillet the salmon?
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Chunqx
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Re: Indian Curry Fish feat. Aust Salmon

Post by Chunqx »

You can add a few vegetables to this curry and the vegetables I suggest adding are:
1. Okra
2. String beans (looks a bit like french beans but a bit more wrinkled)
3. 1 tomato cut into wedges
4. Lebanese eggplant (like normal eggplant but thinner and longer like a carrot)
5. Big green chilly

Forgot to mention the fish is to be cut into cutlet form, not fillet because it'll break up if filleted.
Pretty follow the instructions on the Brahim pack except that you might want to put the fish in last so as to not overcook it. The veges can go in first because they are better soft rather than hard and crunchy. The instructions mentions using 300g of fish but given the salmon is 1kg + cleaned, you could either use 2 packs of Brahim or use half a fish to try first. Use the tail end as the fish has less bones at the tail end. Half the fish still comes up to 500-600g but that's ok with the one pack of Brahim. You can add a small 165ml can of coconut milk too and if you happen to have tamarind paste, add a bit of that too to give it a bit more tang.

Enjoy. I know I did.