Cast Iron Camp Cooking

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Cast Iron Camp Cooking

Post by cheaterparts »

Since getting a small Camp Oven I've used it on a few trips for cooking and think it is worth sliding up a few recipes - I know there are a few guys that use cast iron camp gear
so slide up some recipes

First I have been using Heat Beads over coals from the fire as I find it's easier to control the heat - So I made up a heat bead chimney to start my beads in and went from there - Some will just use the coals from the fire , the really good thing is there really isn't a right or wrong way just what works for you
here's a handy reference to the amount of beads needed for camp oven size and heat you wont to cook at if using beads

http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/heatb ... uettes.htm

Beer Bread -- a simple mix that can be cooked anywhere in my small 4.5 lt oven ( 10" )
and I have a 180 cm cake dish to cook the bread in

ingredients

2 table spoons of sugar
2 3/4 cups of flour
1 can of beer

start by firing up 20 heat beads in the chimney - it takes a good 30 min+ to get them all burning not needed if you use the coals off the camp fire

then in a bowl mix the sugar and flour together

after the beads are all burning well and ready to go or you camp fire has coals for cooking , mix the can of beer into the dry ingredients

Spoon this bread batter into your cake dish ( lightly sprayed with some cooking oil )
place it in the camp oven on a trived

No need to nead or let rise - it will rise while cooking

using 9 heat beads on the bottom and 11 on the top cook for about 50 min
check that the bread sounds hollow if you tap it on top - or stick a skewer into the bread it should come out without being sticky

once cooked remove and let it cool for 5 - 10 min and it realy good warm with butter
and just as good toasted the next day
Last edited by cheaterparts on 26 Apr 2015, 11:12, edited 3 times in total.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
cheaterparts

Re: Cast Iron Camp Cooking

Post by cheaterparts »

Cheesey Scalloped Potatoes

A simple way to cook this is just using Kraft Cheeder Cheese and a spud or 2 - and I am normaly cooking for just myself it's 1 spud
for this I use a small tin foil dish as the cheese is a bugger to clean out of a camp oven

peel and slice potato into 4 - 5 mm slices and grate the cheese -- it's a bit of a guess
on how much cheese you will need , it will depend on how much potato you are using

Line the bottom of the dish with some of the cheese and put a layer of the sliced spud repeat layering the cheese and spud
the top layer should be cheese
put a piece of tin foil the dish and cook on a trived so as not to burn it's bum

in my 10" camp oven I use 7 heat beads on the bottom and 13 on the top
cooking time is around 45 min but a skewer pushed into the mix will show if the spud is soft and cooked
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Post by MrTall »

180cm cake dish for your beer bread cheater? Thats gonna take some beer to fill! ;)
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

MrTall wrote:180cm cake dish for your beer bread cheater? Thats gonna take some beer to fill! ;)
no it's not a problem only one can goes into the bread the rest you just pour down your neck
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
wacazac
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Revolution 13

Post by wacazac »

Try making a damper, but instead of water use a can of 2 fruits or similar, and dump some long life cream on top( after it's cooked)

A hind 1/4 of turkey with vegies goes pretty well too
Spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

pb dusky flathead 60cm
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Chocolate Cow Cake

another simple one

ingredients

i cheap chocolate cake mix
1 can of sarsaparilla -- I used Bundaberg Sarsaparilla myself but doubt it would matter

get the heat source happening - camp fire or heat beads once the heat source is ready

simply mix the to ingredients together and pour into a cake dish and into the camp oven to cook
I used 20 heat beads 8 on the bottom and 12 on the top

cook for about 40 min and check with a skewer to make sure it's cooked
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Post by MrTall »

I like cooking to be easy when camping to leave more time for fishing, so I usually just grab one of those cryovacced marinated roasts and then fill the camp oven to the lid with vegies.
Usually preheat the oven, place the roast inside with some cooking oil. Pull some coals out of the fire and make a small pile on the ground, place the oven on top, then pile coals on the lid.
To maintain temp, I find that changing coals every 45mins -1 hr is about right.
(Btw don't be tempted to put the oven in the fire to hurry it up as this always ends in a burnt disaster)
After meat has been in for 1 set of coals, put vegies in with the meat for another set of coals, then viola, dinner is done. (Large roasts ie > 2kg go in for 2 sets of coals before vegies).
Can never get another roast to taste quite as good as one done this way, so big thumbs up for the camp oven.
Dave
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

MrTall wrote: Can never get another roast to taste quite as good as one done this way, so big thumbs up for the camp oven.
Dave
your right there

last trip away to the Murray my wife boned out a chicken and stuffed it - that also roasted up a treat

I bought myself a 3 lt cast iron saucepan and have made up a steamer plate that fits it from some stainless , so have the option of some steamed veggies as well in future
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Mmmm food. Inspired!!

I'm camping out again Friday night. I will try a beef brisket in the camp oven cooked for a lonnng time . Plenty of salt with spuds carrot and gravy mix added at the end.
We also plan to take 4l of oil and do southern chicken with delta (hotttt) sauce(secret recipe) and probably the last of my frozen gummy. Il have to rectify the freezer situation asap
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)