Completely off topic!
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Re: Bought Something new wanna share it? Post it here

Post by Windknot »

Jenko wrote:
Digger wrote:
Hvalross wrote:Hey Digger not trying to steal the fun out your new toy thats for sure . I got similar advice but found it not to be the case. Sounds like your scinario is like estury on bream that is open water.
Staying on the spot with foot pedal in wind is not fun and thats my point. Even pushing in to banks to retrieve lures is a pain with bow mount as the prop must be the low point in front avoiding damage means having to pull it up before you get into the shallows defeating the whole purpose before you start!! Rear drive does not have that sort of issue and thats all I am trying to convey.
My boat is set up tournament style so I am standing right next to the motor getting a clear view, not looking over the bow of a tinny!! and not even that helps a lot of the time.
My Kestral has a full floor and casting deck Andrew and that's where I fish most often but of course retrieving with the prop spinning up the front requires care i imagine, though at the back it seem to catch my line anyway.

There are certainly pros and cons but the bottom line is that right now if a breeze comes up, I go home!
Hey Dig, best thing I ever done was piss my stern mount leccy(40lb) off and put a bow mount 55lb MinnKota. Because the bow mount is pulling the boat you don't veer every where or "do the circle thing" when there's a bit of wind. I only have a foot control as I mostly stand when I fish but I've thought about getting a remote ...not a 100% sure yet as I've never used the one I had on the last Bow mount (Hazwing 55lb)

I have just sold my old boat which was fitted with a bow mounted Water Snake. I sold the electric with the boat as I had made modifications that would have left the boat marred without it. I liked the bow mounted set up.

My situation is the reverse. I have just bought a new boat. A Tarpon 3.7. I'll post up a photo of it. It's an ultra light boat that weighs just 40 kg. It's made of Kevlar and fibreglass.

I have probably done the wrong thing. I bought a 40 lb stern mount Minn Kota for the new boat. I figured I wont be out in windy conditions in this little boat anyway. I would have much preferred an I Pilot Minn Kota, but at $2000, they're too expensive. Hopefully the stern mount will do the job.
Attachments
Tarpon 3.7 five.JPG
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I don't know Mick, my Kestral is aluminium and has a high bow. That boat shouldn't be as susceptible to breezes as mine I think.

My bow is a big sail!
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

The Jabiru is near enough flat.. the Thruster is strong enough to push the boat along with some authority in a sttaight line when towong lures in most conditions.
The bow mount pulls the boat along but then the stern starts to drift and thats no good for towing lures through timber.

Too little power can allow yawing. I use the bow mount a lot. Started out expecting it to give more control than it has in windy conditions.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Windknot
Lord of the fish

Post by Windknot »

Thanks Digger. We'll see how it goes. I could always simply spin the back swivel seat around to face the rear and pretend the motor is on the bow. ;)
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Windknot wrote:Thanks Digger. We'll see how it goes. I could always simply spin the back swivel seat around to face the rear and pretend the motor is on the bow. ;)

All jokes aside I've been known to troll running the boat backwards....works OK.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Almost ready to roll!

I have to move the deep cycle battery to balance the boat and calibrate the remote to the motor and then I'll be waiting for the wind to drop and I'm off!
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Digger wrote:Almost ready to roll!

I have to move the deep cycle battery to balance the boat and calibrate the remote to the motor and then I'll be waiting for the wind to drop and I'm off!
looking good :thumbsup:
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Thanks Jim,

The domed bow was a problem for mounting but thankfully I have mates that are more adept than I am.
Windknot
Lord of the fish

Post by Windknot »

It looks good. You've used a raised platform supported by numerous bolts, by the look of it. That would have taken some doing I imagine.

Now all you need is some decent weather to try it out.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Windknot wrote:It looks good. You've used a raised platform supported by numerous bolts, by the look of it. That would have taken some doing I imagine.

Now all you need is some decent weather to try it out.
Yes Mick we have and plates underneath to reenforce the light metal bow. I think the front would rip off the boat before that bracket moves! The bolts also overcame the levelling problem, all thanks to my mate Tony.

I've not long returned from town and it was blowing its tits off in there. Cold rain almost like sleet!

Just lit the wood heater.