Which Camping esky

Completely off topic!
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Which Camping esky

Post by Reeling »

I'm looking at getting a good esky and thought I would ask here whether there is a particular brand/model people recommend.

Many manufacturers claim their eskys keep ice frozen for multiple days, but was looking for first hand experience.

I'm looking for something of fair size for multiple day/weekend trip
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Re: Which Camping esky

Post by mazman »

Dometic ice boxes are definitely the pick, comes in a quite a few sizes from 22L to 110L
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

I have three different types but don't think that's enough to make any recommendation other than look for quality and thickness of insulation plus lid seal.

You need to use an ice box well to get the best out of it. This may help
https://bestcooler.reviews/maximizing-i ... tion-tips/
The same website does reviews. I can't say whether or not they are trustworthy.

Choice did a comparison very recently.
https://www.choice.com.au/outdoor/campi ... re/coolers
The website wants a prescription to read their recommendations but you should be able to find the Magazine in your local library.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

I have a techni ice box and have found it great. They are based in Frankston.
https://techniice.com/ice-boxes/techniice-classic.html
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

mazman wrote:Dometic ice boxes are definitely the pick, comes in a quite a few sizes from 22L to 110L
I have a big Dometic and put five bags of ice in it with quite a few drinks about lunch time on Xmas eve, it sat on the back of my ute in full sun for four days there was still a good amount of ice in it after four days and the drinks that were left were still really cold.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Tyvm Nath this was a question i was going to post, I've seen the Dometic it looks good, but yes looks means nothing, i was just discussing this subject not 5 minutes ago with my daughter, i have a willow 55L i bought years ago, it's pretty much useless, i also have a gas/240v fridge about 40L, this i bought at a garage sale for $5 some years ago, but it works well although the lid need some repair, I've been thinking about getting a good esky for the yak and welding a divider in it to separate my tackle from the cool area. Then im also thinking about one for camping, although i could use the same one for both.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Kiwidundee wrote:I have a techni ice box and have found it great. They are based in Frankston.
https://techniice.com/ice-boxes/techniice-classic.html
Plus 1 for these I also have the dometic , I feel the techni ice to be better.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

I've got 2 of the older style techniice classics, very happy with them and they are super-solid.

I've been contemplating an upgrade to their "signature" line of iceboxes, those things look awesome.
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

This is the model I have. Fits a few good snapper in there. While not a very scientific test we used it new years eve to hold drinks with two bags of ice. The lid was eventually closed and it was sort of forgotten in the back yard. Yesterday at 2pm when it was 40 degrees I fancied a beer and remembered about the chiller. While there was no ice left, the beer was still nice and cold and that was after 4 days of neglect.
https://techniice.com/70l-ice-box-6.html
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

Techni Ice all the way, I want to buy another but they're out of most of their stock till next month.