Magpies!

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Magpies!

Post by Digger »

bunyip wrote:I do not follow the game or any team yet people do not believe you, I do not know who performed in last years grand kick and giggle.
Went to join a social club and one of the questions was what team do I follow, I put none and it was not accepted.
We went out for lunch last Saturday and we had the restaurant to ourselves, we were told it was the semis and asked who we followed.
There is truly no escape from this torment.
I married into a family of Collingwood supporters (rabid)

After a while you just go with the flow just for some peace of mind.

I have to say that since the advent of big screen TV’s, footy is a real spectacle!
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Being a bombers supporter I say.....

Go West Coast! :twisted:
Plenty of them heading over here from Perth on my flight back last night.
All the Melbourne bound flight are full of blue and yellow so they are here to represent thats for sure.

In honesty I just hope for a good game and not a boring blow out like the elimination finals were.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Apologies to Bunyip but GO PIES!
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

Thank god for the Eagles....that will shut the black and whites up for a while :clap: :clap:
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

spider25160 wrote:Thank god for the Eagles....that will shut the black and whites up for a while :clap: :clap:

Come on 13th place to within 5 points of the flag ain't real shabby, and what a great game.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Digger wrote:
spider25160 wrote:Thank god for the Eagles....that will shut the black and whites up for a while :clap: :clap:

Come on 13th place to within 5 points of the flag ain't real shabby, and what a great game.
Interestingly enough Richmond finished 13th the year before their flag, if the pies had done it it would have been two in a row.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

AFL explained to Americans.....

Australian Rules Football.

Take a field and place four goalposts each end, two long ones in the centre and two shorter ones outside as the players who throw or kick the ball can be somewhat challenged when it comes to accuracy and to save their egos get a lesser score for a near miss.
There are 18 players on the field and to qualify you must have a name like Jacko or Gazza, Geoffrey and Jonathan are simply not acceptable.
It helps to have a questionable IQ and lack of sporting ethics, the ability to puff out ones chest and confront an opponent who most likely will be doing the same thing, despite looking like two roosters with excess testosterone this appears to be quite acceptable behavior although it is somewhat questionable as to why it is done.
The ball is an oval shape and is quite unpredictable when it hits the ground, if it lands amongst a group many hands will make a grab for it and some players will resort to what is called 壮quirrelling in an attempt to get the player holding the ball to release it, this is an illegal move and can be quite painful for the recipient but the spectators expect it. (Squirreling: Running the hand up the players leg and grabbing food for hibernation)
To bolster egos the teams have names, not simply a town or city name but must have following that represents a fierce or cunning animal, bird or fish, dogs, dingoes, wolves, sharks, hawks are acceptable, goldfish, lovebirds, kittens are not.
The whistle blows and the ball is bounced in the centre and both teams will grope for it like horny inexperienced schoolboys on a first date, one will get it and make a brief run before kicking it to another team member, if it is caught the game stops as this is called a mark and allows the player to kick the ball without interference, if close enough this could score a goal, if not played well it can just miss and still get a minor score, this avoids depression amongst players later as they are quite sensitive and cannot cope with failure.
Another team may get the ball and the charade continues in the opposite direction.
These episodes run for 27 to 33 minutes then a rest period is allowed so the grounds can profit from the sales of tepid pies and bad beer.
There are four of these sessions during the game and all manner of fighting can break out amongst the spectators who have over indulged in the bad beer, this spectacle can be more entertaining than the game itself.
At the end the team with the highest score are declared winners and progress to a series of finals whereby the whole charade is repeated with another team.
This goes on for about six months then the TV stations spend weeks with post mortems as to why one lost when they should have won, the poor sods who do not like this game still suffer when they thought it was all over.
When it finally does subside we then get subjected to cricket but that is another story.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

bunyip wrote:AFL explained to Americans.....

This goes on for about six months then the TV stations spend weeks with post mortems as to why one lost when they should have won, the poor sods who do not like this game still suffer when they thought it was all over.
When it finally does subside we then get subjected to cricket but that is another story.

Sounds like a pretty accurate and well balanced description to me :D
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

bunyip wrote:AFL explained to Americans.....

Australian Rules Football.

Take a field and place four goalposts each end, two long ones in the centre and two shorter ones outside as the players who throw or kick the ball can be somewhat challenged when it comes to accuracy and to save their egos get a lesser score for a near miss.
There are 18 players on the field and to qualify you must have a name like Jacko or Gazza, Geoffrey and Jonathan are simply not acceptable.
It helps to have a questionable IQ and lack of sporting ethics, the ability to puff out ones chest and confront an opponent who most likely will be doing the same thing, despite looking like two roosters with excess testosterone this appears to be quite acceptable behavior although it is somewhat questionable as to why it is done.
The ball is an oval shape and is quite unpredictable when it hits the ground, if it lands amongst a group many hands will make a grab for it and some players will resort to what is called 壮quirrelling in an attempt to get the player holding the ball to release it, this is an illegal move and can be quite painful for the recipient but the spectators expect it. (Squirreling: Running the hand up the players leg and grabbing food for hibernation)
To bolster egos the teams have names, not simply a town or city name but must have following that represents a fierce or cunning animal, bird or fish, dogs, dingoes, wolves, sharks, hawks are acceptable, goldfish, lovebirds, kittens are not.
The whistle blows and the ball is bounced in the centre and both teams will grope for it like horny inexperienced schoolboys on a first date, one will get it and make a brief run before kicking it to another team member, if it is caught the game stops as this is called a mark and allows the player to kick the ball without interference, if close enough this could score a goal, if not played well it can just miss and still get a minor score, this avoids depression amongst players later as they are quite sensitive and cannot cope with failure.
Another team may get the ball and the charade continues in the opposite direction.
These episodes run for 27 to 33 minutes then a rest period is allowed so the grounds can profit from the sales of tepid pies and bad beer.
There are four of these sessions during the game and all manner of fighting can break out amongst the spectators who have over indulged in the bad beer, this spectacle can be more entertaining than the game itself.
At the end the team with the highest score are declared winners and progress to a series of finals whereby the whole charade is repeated with another team.
So then, please do tell what your team sport of choice is then? Why should anyone care what the USA thinks of our game?
For the record I took a few of my Colleagues from the USA to a game and they are now addicted and watch the games via internet back home.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
pete49
Apprentice
kayak: perception swing

Post by pete49 »

Personally I think that's the most accurate explanation