Alaska cruise

Completely off topic!
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Alaska cruise

Post by Jacko »

Going to Alaska. See the glaciers & if any Salmon are spawning in the systems & see of the bears are better at fishing than vyakers :evilgrin:
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Alaska cruise

Post by Tim399 »

im VERY envious - its on my bucket list. The bears will be better at fishing than me at least - i couldnt get a pinkie over 35cm in peak snapper season haha
enjoy!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Tim399 wrote:im VERY envious - its on my bucket list. The bears will be better at fishing than me at least - i couldnt get a pinkie over 35cm in peak snapper season haha
enjoy!
X2 but if you gather a few bottles of bears pis*(don't ask me how) spread it all over the area your fishing you might win, but make sure it's males pis* not females ;) lol
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

have a great time Robert, and don't forget to put up a report when you get back, very interested to here all about it. :D
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Good one Rob, hope you have a ball!

We’re pretty much over long flights for the moment, 21 hours each way is just a little taxing....but it is worth it!
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Went to Kamchatyka several years ago, (head up to Alaska and turn left), fly fishing for salmon and scored a 60lb fish, heap of fun but the food was bloody awful, borsch and boiled reindeer meat for 10 days.
The bears were huge and we kept well away, they must have stood about 10' high on their back legs, the upside was there were no snakes.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

bunyip wrote:Went to Kamchatyka several years ago, (head up to Alaska and turn left), fly fishing for salmon and scored a 60lb fish, heap of fun but the food was bloody awful, borsch and boiled reindeer meat for 10 days.
The bears were huge and we kept well away, they must have stood about 10' high on their back legs, the upside was there were no snakes.
The bears ate them all??
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Didn't Lobo go to Alaska or Canada or some S#!^ and never come back?
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

4liters wrote:Didn't Lobo go to Alaska or Canada or some S#!^ and never come back?
I miss Lobo Locos posts.
Last post I remember seeing from lobo was him catching salmon with his bare hands. I think as you said Ian, it was either Alaska or Canada.
Now that I have seen the salmon run in Alaska I can see why Lobo hasn't come back to Victoria.
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

G'day Ian, Tim, Peter, Rob, Paul & Iain,

Heres a quick report with some attached you tube links (not mine).
bunyip wrote:Went to Kamchatyka several years ago, (head up to Alaska and turn left), fly fishing for salmon and scored a 60lb fish, heap of fun but the food was bloody awful, borsch and boiled reindeer meat for 10 days.
The food on the cruise ships is all you can eat so it's a bit better than borsch & boiled reindeer meat.
Now I am back from the Alaska cruise, Kamchatyka Russia is on my bucket list. of places to go.
When the tourists asked about the dangers of bears the guides look at the Aussies and say "they are less dangerous than your snakes & spiders.

The brown bears (Grizzly bears) are huge in Alaska, but I only saw them from a distance through the window of a tour bus at Denali National Park.
We took a float plane to Neets bay salmon hatchery from Ketchikan. The bears I saw close up catching Salmon in the streams at Neets Bay were smaller young black bears. The guide told us they were about 2 to 4 years old. They leave their mum usually after the 1st or 2nd year & we didn't see any sow & cubs. The bears we saw were about 20-30 m away.

My photos & videos don't do justice so I will post someone elses' you tube link I found taken in the same location taken a few years ago.
The antics of the bears was about the same as the attached video with the older bears chasing away the younger ones and keeping the best spots for themselves.
The younger ones were also learning how to fish and sometimes slipped off the rocks, fell in the water and came out fishless. It would make a good "funniest home video"
The older ones were so successful at catching salmon that they could be picky and only take the females with row which they prefer as they have more protein.
There was so many salmon swimming upstream that the older bears would throw back the salmon they didn't want for the younger bears to try to catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXLQ_ur_zm8

Apart from seeing the bears fishing for the salmon, and watching young kids fishing by casting a line from the shore or bridge at Ketchikan then dragging theirm line in with a tail or fin snagged salmon attached (It wasn't fishing it was catching) the biggest highlight was seeing a two teams of hump back whales bubble netting for herring only a few hundred meters away from the cruise ship. There was one team of 8 we were all watching then another team of 4 came alongside and joined them at the same time. So a total of 12 humpbacks bubble netting.
Apparently it is a rare sight.
My photo of the bubblenetting just shows whales gapping mouths as they surfaced and dots on my photos, which were the herring jumping away and the seagulls flying in for left overs, so the attached you tube link is a better view.

I don't think you would want to be too close in a kayak at the same time as the twelve 50 feet long 35 ton whales were breaching & bubble netting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00G0RxeSP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8iDcLTD9wQ