Indoor phone reception

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Indoor phone reception

Post by Digger »

I have a wi-fi booster that runs signal out about 200 metres or at least until I hit the back fence!!
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

I thought a wi-fi booster worked with computer equipment. Irrespective, you can't amplify a phone signal without permission without running the risk of a massive fine.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
flyonline
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Australis Bass

Post by flyonline »

Take your tin foil hat off first before using the phone, usually works for me :evilgrin:
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Steve_R wrote:I thought a wi-fi booster worked with computer equipment. Irrespective, you can't amplify a phone signal without permission without running the risk of a massive fine.
There’s been no suggestion that amplifying wi-fi is illegal, not anywhere I’ve read or from the dealers. If you are causing interference than that is a whole different matter.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

you can also amplify a tv signal providing it is retransmitted on the same frequency.
To reduce the risk of interfernce you can change the transmitting antennas polarity, can drop by up to about 30 dbuv, change receiveer as well so their is no swamping.
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

The technical aspects of phone signals are above my level of understanding and well outside my sphere of interest. Treat me as an idiot and don't skip ahead to anything advanced.

At this stage, I don't even know how to find the wavelength of the phone signal so, there's not even a place to start building an aerial. How do I find that?

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Steve_R wrote:The technical aspects of phone signals are above my level of understanding and well outside my sphere of interest. Treat me as an idiot and don't skip ahead to anything advanced.

At this stage, I don't even know how to find the wavelength of the phone signal so, there's not even a place to start building an aerial. How do I find that?
Invite someone up for the weekend Hmm diggers not to far away ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
im_no_pro
Apprentice
kayak: Malibu Stealth 12

Post by im_no_pro »

What model phone do you have?
Steve_R
Square eyes

Post by Steve_R »

It's a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact D5803

Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

bunyip wrote:you can also amplify a tv signal providing it is retransmitted on the same frequency.
To reduce the risk of interfernce you can change the transmitting antennas polarity, can drop by up to about 30 dbuv, change receiveer as well so their is no swamping.

In the last 12 months we had a mobile tower installed just 400 metres from the house and after a while we started experiencing massive break up of free to air TV signals.

It occurred to me after a while that the events were at about the same time so I called a TV antenna bloke in and apparently my 20 year old mast head amp was amplifying across those same frequencies and causing the interference. A new narrower range amp fixed the problem. I though at that distance it might have been front end overload but not so fortunately.

We certainly love having mobiles that work at home now....Grin~

(Many thanks to our local member Darren Chester)