Mallacoota!

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Mallacoota!

Post by Digger »

Home again and pretty tired. I thought I’d sleep like a log last night but was awake at 2’ish and up by 5, sick on lying there awake.

I think I’m excited! (more in a minute)

We had a lovely week down the coast with best friends and can’t wait to do it all again soon. The weather was decidedly ordinary but I still managed a couple of trips in the boat fishing. I caught a feed the first trip but only one on the second. The lack of rainfall means that the system has closed off from the ocean and that the usual prawn run couldn’t happen and that means that fish aren’t hungry as there is as much food as they need. That makes them hard to catch!
Image Image
However it is lovely out on the water there and I enjoy being out in my boat.

Our lovely old caravan has been there for the last 14 years but it’s now too confining and very much too hard for us to set up each time with awnings and a host of stuff that has to be assembled and put out each time. It’s been a great and cheap holiday for years but all things come to an end!

In the last couple of days we bought a permanent site with a big van and annex on it. It’s like a small unit really with plenty of space in the 30’ van and a modern annex attached. We bought it furnished and there has been a new kitchen put in and a couple of meals areas. We bought the lot including TV, BBQ’s and such so I figure when we get there it will take 10 to 15 minutes to unpack and we can be sitting having a drink! Setting up the old van takes 2 hours each end of the time there and I will not miss that one iota!
ImageImage Image Image
We mean to do some renovating in the near future and incorporate a toilet and shower area if we can fit them in

The main thing is that we can continue having holidays or short breaks in a pristine and very special place. The biggest problem will be keeping Kangas off the rear deck....and I’m not kidding....Grin~

So, on our minds is lots of good stuff and we should take possession next week.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: Mallacoota!

Post by Babylon »

15931-200.png
15931-200.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

I'm very envious Rob. Your new accommodation looks very inviting and comfortable and it's in one of my favourite locations of all time. Your arrangement allows you to take your boat on its trailer, allowing you the ease of quick and easy launching. All in all, it has to be close to being the perfect set up.

I have a little 12 foot Avan campervan. It's one that has a triangular shape when it's set up, but it is below the height of the car when it's not. It's a simple little camper and it's reasonably comfortable. It tows like a dream. The biggest hassle with it though is, I can't take my boat, on its trailer, as well. I think my wife likes that aspect of it, because otherwise she is often left alone for lengthy periods while I'm out fishing. I still take my little Mini-X on the roof though, if we're going anywhere where I can fish.

When I go on an all out fishing trip by myself, I tow my little boat and I take my excellent new tent. It's an Oztent RV3, which can be set up in 30 seconds and packed up just as quickly. It's nice and spacious and it has a generous veranda. It makes camping almost enjoyable. They're not cheap at around a grand, but they are good. Of course, my set ups can't be compared to your's when it comes to comfort and convenience and that's why I'm so envious.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

[quote="Windknot"]I'm very envious Rob. Your new accommodation looks very inviting and comfortable and it's in one of my favourite locations of all time. Your arrangement allows you to take your boat on its trailer, allowing you the ease of quick and easy launching. All in all, it has to be close to being the perfect set up.

I have a little 12 foot Avan campervan. It's one that has a triangular shape when it's set up, but it is below the height of the car when it's not. It's a simple little camper and it's reasonably comfortable. It tows like a dream. The biggest hassle with it though is, I can't take my boat, on its trailer, as well. I think my wife likes that aspect of it, because otherwise she is often left alone for lengthy periods while I'm out fishing. I still take my little Mini-X on the roof though, if we're going anywhere where I can fish.

When I go on an all out fishing trip by myself, I tow my little boat and I take my excellent new tent. It's an Oztent RV3, which can be set up in 30 seconds and packed up just as quickly. It's nice and spacious and it has a generous veranda. It makes camping almost enjoyable. They're not cheap at around a grand, but they are good. Of course, my set ups can't be compared to your's when it comes to comfort.

Thanks Mick but you seem to have it all sussed out as it is! We’ve had our old 20’ caravan onsite in a variety of places for 30 years now. She ain't pretty but very comfortable and it’s pretty cheap to leave it at Shady Gully and so it’s been really perfect. Pity to have to sell it but it will be cheap for someone that wants to do what we’ve done. We are at a point however where doing all the setup is too much after a long day getting ready and travelling, so it is about time we changed our approach. There is no way that we want to stop coming to Mallacoota, so this is the perfect answer.

If I want to bring the boat then I can and if not I’ll have some land based fishing stuff stored there so I can head off to fish one of the many places around Coota that can produce fish. Now I can be unpacked and having a drink within 10 minutes of arrival.

We are very happy with our purchase and the fact that it will see us in Mallacoota more often from now on. Second home in fact...grin~

Thank you for your perception and your kind words.
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

Congrats Digger
I agree with Mick its really the ideal setup.
They are very cosy and easy going, even a split system works really well in them pumping out the cold air in summer and heats up quick in winter.
Great investment :thumbsup:
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Home away from home Digger :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: wish you and mrs Digger all the best in your next adventure
mob 0423 492 759
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Thanks Jaryd & Geoff,

We are intending to be there from Thursday this coming week to start to enjoy the new found space and of course Mallacoota from a different perspective.

There is actually a brand new split system going to be installed after Easter thanks to the current owners so even Winter might be fun.

Anyway we are both excited to sample this new part of our lives and lets face it, there is no place more beautiful than Mallacoota.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Totally :mrgreen: with envy used to dream of buying some land up that way when i lived there years ago.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

peatop wrote:Totally :mrgreen: with envy used to dream of buying some land up that way when i lived there years ago.

Pete,moving here was a conscious decision we made about 40 years ago and we haven’t regretted a minute of it since!

We worked bloody hard to pay everything off and I guess we are reaping the rewards now.

East Gippsland is the best thing that ever happened to us and I really hope you make it back here.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I get back for visits from time to time, one of my kids and grandkids live in lakes, been thinking of doing a camping trip up that way but finances are streched for the next year, so it might have to wait.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm