International Flights?

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: International Flights?

Post by Digger »

Sorry Steve, that was twice the price of economy plus $600!

I can’t see how they can justify that for an extra 18” but some are dearer again..
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

peatop wrote:Who doesn't love asian food? I think i was born asian :lol:
Damn! Don’t encourage me, now I want some!
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

I don't think I am game to consider going with Malaysian.
Never tried Singapore but have flown Emirates which was good.
I used to be aircrew with the RAAF and we offered excellent inflight service on Caribous (sit down, shut up, hang on).
We are also heading to the UK around July and are looking for a deal.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

I know you just mentioned that you're stopping for 24hrs in Singapore, but if you have a 5 or 7hr+ stopover in singapore airport they provide a shuttle bus where they take you around the city to "see the sights". I believe its free but you can't get off the bus due to security reasons of getting collected and dropped off airside at the airport.

one tip: we planned on doing this but even though we were layover for long enough time wise the 5-7hr+ is has to be within the hours they run the service. I think we got there a couple of hours before te service started for the day so weren't allowed to go on it.

Also there is a lot to walk around and see at singapore airport like the cactus garden, butterfly garden and the many orchid displays.

there is a website i got told about quite a few years ago called "seatguru" it provides the plane layouts, highlighting which seats to avoid - kind of obvious, but last rows next to toilets etc have limited recline. I think the website also lists the seat dimensions of all the airline seats and they recline. You may find some have larger legroom or recline than others if you have a look

Nath
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Steve_R wrote:$600 for a little less discomfort does seem a bit steep.

You know this but for the benefit of others, my son suffered a bout of economy class syndrome (DVT) on a trip to SE Asia in his early 20s. I witnessed a couple of people die from it (saw them fall and fail attempts to resuscitate). So, before you go search the web for 'economy class syndrome', paying attention to recommendations to avoid it. Restrict search results to something recent so recommendations are up-to-date. If possible favour .gov and .edu site results over .com (for reasons I am sure most know).

I’ve spoken to my GP and he’s going to give me a couple of injections to take with me, one before each long leg of the flight. Says it takes away the risk of DVT.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Digger wrote:
Steve_R wrote:$600 for a little less discomfort does seem a bit steep.

You know this but for the benefit of others, my son suffered a bout of economy class syndrome (DVT) on a trip to SE Asia in his early 20s. I witnessed a couple of people die from it (saw them fall and fail attempts to resuscitate). So, before you go search the web for 'economy class syndrome', paying attention to recommendations to avoid it. Restrict search results to something recent so recommendations are up-to-date. If possible favour .gov and .edu site results over .com (for reasons I am sure most know).

I’ve spoken to my GP and he’s going to give me a couple of injections to take with me, one before each long leg of the flight. Says it takes away the risk of DVT.
Doesnt plain ole Asprin act as a blood thinning agent and reduce the risk? That's if you can take Asprin
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

For those who judge comfort by leg space, can copy to spreadsheet, sort and filter to do comparisons and down to very patient folk (who don't think to click a heading to sort), here are the numbers:

https://www.seatguru.com/charts/longhaul_economy.php

Seat Pitch: The distance between two rows of seats, this is the best indicator of legroom. More is better.

EDIT: a simpler alternative for those who like graphics
https://www.skyscanner.com.au/news/whic ... -australia

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

bunyip wrote:I don't think I am game to consider going with Malaysian.
Never tried Singapore but have flown Emirates which was good.
I used to be aircrew with the RAAF and we offered excellent inflight service on Caribous (sit down, shut up, hang on).
We are also heading to the UK around July and are looking for a deal.

Yeah but the meals sucked big time!

However with the back open the view was unparalleled !!

You just had to fly high enough to avoid some of those 7.62 bugs they had over there~
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Can of mortein you'd be right ;)
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

bunyip wrote:Can of mortein you'd be right ;)
Yeah that and sitting on your tin hat’d do it!