Get Checked Peoples

Completely off topic!
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Get Checked Peoples

Post by Babylon »

After a very long time of nagging by my SWMBO I finally went and had my Skin checked
last week, now going back this week to have a Melanoma removed from my back caught it early
still confined to small area..
So Peoples get yourselves checked out.Cheers Jim
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Re: Get Checked Peoples

Post by cruiser »

100 percent on that one
mob 0423 492 759
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Good on you for posting up Jim, glad you caught it early. Hoping all goes well this week for you
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

As someone with pale skin who grew up running around with no shirt, no hat and no sunscreen in Queensland (aka 'skin cancer capital of the world') this is something that worries me too, I've had numerous BCC's removed and a Moh's done on one cheek. This is a good reminder to have my GP check my back when I go in to get the results of my CT scan.

I always slather sunscreen on when I go out in the yak and despite that and wearing a buff I still end up with burned cheeks. Might have to switch to the old-style opaque zinc and see if that helps; also going to take a full-brim hat out rather than a cap next trip.

Best wishes for your procedure.
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

I'm in the same boat. I wear a broad brimmed hat as well as a buff, a long sleeved shirt and long pants, as well as sun gloves. We all know that UV light is reflected off the surface of the water straight into your face, so just wearing a hat, usually isn't enough.

It's probably too late for me now at 63, as the damage was done many years ago. I've had two melanomas taken out and more BCCs than I can remember. It didn't help that I worked outdoors for my entire life and that I have fair skin.

If it wasn't for regular skin checks I'd would have been pushing up daisies decades ago.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Had a big one removed about 1990 and all clear still, it was on my upper arm and I always wore long sleeve shirts which to me indicates that the cancer is migratory and not confined to the area of exposure.
Worst area for me is my hands getting burnt while driving.
ecoronad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: native watercraft ultimate 12

Post by ecoronad »

Just remember when you're on the water, a broad brimmed hat will only cover you from the rays above. Just like in the snow, water reflects a lot of the sun's rays which can result in a lot of damage. I personally use an "araphat" style cap which covers the back of my neck and face. I'm not a big fan of buffs because of their tight fitting and suffocating feel I get when I pull them over my mouth.