Umbilical hernia and yakking

Completely off topic!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Umbilical hernia and yakking

Post by laneends »

Just been diagnosed with umbilical hernia, and it could take ages to get it attended to at hosp. Anyone had this? How is it going to affect pedalling and paddling? Ok to keep going and just maybe take it cruisey?
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: Umbilical hernia and yakking

Post by mingle »

My Dad had one (minor) for a while. He had his fixed last week. Fairly simple op.

I'd say just take it easy. Did you have it long before you had it diagnosed?

If in doubt, have a quick chat you your GP.

Mike.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Noticed it a few days ago, went to GP on weds, had ultrasound to confirm 14x13mm area, sac is fat tissue only, partly reducible. No pain, just a bit of discomfort, but that may be cos i am focusing on it.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

laneends wrote:Just been diagnosed with umbilical hernia, and it could take ages to get it attended to at hosp. Anyone had this? How is it going to affect pedalling and paddling? Ok to keep going and just maybe take it cruisey?
Had one and got it fixed with a mesh roughly 20 years ago, haven't had an issue since. I don't recall any particular problems recovering from the surgery either, it was basically in and out the next day and not too sore.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

chrisw wrote:
laneends wrote:Just been diagnosed with umbilical hernia, and it could take ages to get it attended to at hosp. Anyone had this? How is it going to affect pedalling and paddling? Ok to keep going and just maybe take it cruisey?
Had one and got it fixed with a mesh roughly 20 years ago, haven't had an issue since. I don't recall any particular problems recovering from the surgery either, it was basically in and out the next day and not too sore.
yep seems like a simple procedure. Just a matter of nursing it until they get around to doing it.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Not umbilical but I had a groin hernia a few decades ago.
Fixed with mesh which was done via keyhole surgery.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

I have been carrying an umbilical hernia for about 15 years undiagnosed until about 6 months ago. It has never been painful nor has it ever interfered with any activities. Had the op a couple months ago. Key hole surgery. I was told I would need 4 to 6 weeks off work. I had no pain and took it easy for about a week,,,,Had 4 weeks off work but didn't stop my renovations and other stuff weather has been too S#!^ to get the yak out since April or May but I don't believe it would have effected pedaling at all.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo: