Battle Of Long Tan Day!

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Battle Of Long Tan Day!

Post by Digger »

The 18th August is set aside here to commemorate Vietnam Veterans in Australia.

It's called the Battle of Long Tan day to remind us of the huge battle that our troops fought on that day in 1966. I will attach a link for those that care to read about this epic battle where Australia lost 18 young men on that day, our single biggest loss in that war.

I lost a mate on that day, in that battle and always think about him on that anniversary every year. This was essentially an ambush carried out by approx 1000 NVA or well trained and equipped regulars, not part time soldiers like the VC. One of our platoons got cut off and bore the brunt of the attack and the survivors faced a night of fierce fighting in a monsoonal rainstorm. The morning saw over 300 approx NVA dead and a complete rout of the North Vietnamese army unit who thought that the Aussies were going to be a push over. Official losses were 245 but the number was much higher than that because the enemy always removed as many bodies from the battlefield as they could so we wouldn't know what their losses were.

We owe much to our Kiwi matea in artillery that kept a wall of steel between us and the NVA. They don't let their mates down those blokes!

This is a time to reflect on all who served in this conflict and all who have served, and are serving, in any wars. Because of the unpopularity of this war many troops are still fighting battles to this day and likely will do until their passing. We must ensure that we value these people and never again allow ourselves to turn on service men and women who have done a bloody hard job for their country.

Lest we forget.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gUSq7pxux4[/ame]
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Re: Battle Of Long Tan Day!

Post by Windknot »

Very true Digger. Our troops performed admirably in very difficult conditions, against an enemy that far outnumbered them. I have read up on it. It's also true that our soldiers were treated very poorly upon their return to Australia. I have never been able to fully understand why this was so, as any rational person would have to realise that our rank and file soldiers had no say in what was happening over there.

I genuinely thought it would be a chance that I would be called up for national service, but as it turned out, it finished before I turned 18. I would have gone without any hesitation.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Windknot wrote:Very true Digger. Our troops performed admirably in very difficult conditions, against an enemy that far outnumbered them. I have read up on it. It's also true that our soldiers were treated very poorly upon their return to Australia. I have never been able to fully understand why this was so, as any rational person would have to realise that our rank and file soldiers had no say in what was happening over there.

I genuinely thought it would be a chance that I would be called up for national service, but as it turned out, it finished before I turned 18. I would have gone without any hesitation.
Good on you Mick, I think thats the attitude most of us approached it with.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Windknot wrote: It's also true that our soldiers were treated very poorly upon their return to Australia.
Especially hurtful was by the RSL, spat on by uni students, crapped on by the RSL.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

bunyip wrote:
Windknot wrote: It's also true that our soldiers were treated very poorly upon their return to Australia.
Especially hurtful was by the RSL, spat on by uni students, crapped on by the RSL.
Yes you should know, as do I.

"Oh mate, that wasn't a real war! It was a police action!" That was what I was told the first time I went to have a drink at the Frankston RSL after getting home.

Strange that, it felt like a real war!
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

I was offered Associate Membership for much the same reasons, not on the ground like you but came back with flak holes in the wings a few times.
Maybe police action flak and bullets are softer.
I did some pro bono work with vets for PTSD, was something of a challenge as my field is forensic not clinical unlike my mate in the avatar.