Fish Tanks

Completely off topic!
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Fish Tanks

Post by Tim399 »

happyas wrote:Not being used at the moment, but I have a four foot tank and system set up in the lounge room. I had an Oscar that ate everything (including large water snails). The grandkids loved watching the yabbies, which grew into big blue monsters. They were not compatable with small fish as they used to catch and eat them. Currently one of my sons is setting up an aquaponics system at his business and has freshwater perch growing in a water cell with the top removed.
My parents have 4 aquaponic systems linked together, which at one stage had silverperch in them that they got given from a customer. The silver perch for some reason didn't last long, possibly didn't like the change in environment? however they now have goldfish in the tanks as they are easy to keep and very hardy. The veggies grow incredibly fast in this system, it's impressive!
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Wow Tim, that sounds great. I would be a bonus if they could grow edible fish in their tanks.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Well the silverperch did get eaten in the end anyway haha but possibly it might have been the way the fish spent their lives housed previously as to why they didn't do so well. They got very slow and lethargic one at a time, so they were dispatched and eaten before they spoiled. The idea was always to grow fish for eating while the fish nutrients boost the veggies growth. Your son will not be disappointed, my mum planted the same seeds in the grow bed as the garden next to it, and the aquaponic system plants grew about 75% faster :up: