New Overtaking Emergency Road Rule 1 July

Completely off topic!
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Re: New Overtaking Emergency Road Rule 1 July

Post by Yako »

I unfortunately assumed most people are like myself when approaching emergency vehicles/personal on the road or roadside who have stopped. I slow down & if possible without interfering with other traffic will try give them a wide berth. I actually do this for roadside assistance vehicles too.
I honestly did not realise people were negligent/ignorant in that regard (well maybe the odd one)
I just hope common sense prevails & it's not used to raise revenue on someone doing 50 etc past them by mistake.
They really need to be addressing these issues at root level from education & training.
If it saves lives on both sides then great.
John 3.16/17
Gav
Apprentice
kayak: hobie pro angler 12 owner now 2013 modle

Post by Gav »

I was once a trafice controller and the poeple that tride to give u a push or bump was 3 out 10 some trucks were worst on long runs Gav
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Who is going to police this?
If the wallopers have someone pulled over who is going to detect your speed, I can't see vehicles being fitted with a speed camera for a while and at the moment all speed cameras are private contractors.
A vehicle approaches me at 100kph in a 40kph zone I know it is in excess of 40kph but I can't tell you what speed it is travelling at, ergo, not admissible evidence in court.
I don't disagree with the concept but think policing will be close on impossible.
Further to this I have traveled in single lanes and found police with someone pulled over and they park the police vehicle well into the flow of traffic, if the vehicle is hit wouldn't this be a higher injury risk with a propelled vehicle causing more injuries from a rear impact.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

bunyip wrote:Who is going to police this?
If the wallopers have someone pulled over who is going to detect your speed, I can't see vehicles being fitted with a speed camera for a while and at the moment all speed cameras are private contractors.
A vehicle approaches me at 100kph in a 40kph zone I know it is in excess of 40kph but I can't tell you what speed it is travelling at, ergo, not admissible evidence in court.
I don't disagree with the concept but think policing will be close on impossible.
Further to this I have travelled in single lanes and found police with someone pulled over and they park the police vehicle well into the flow of traffic, if the vehicle is hit wouldn't this be a higher injury risk with a propelled vehicle causing more injuries from a rear impact.
Parking a police vehicle wide is more about the police vehicle with flashing lights being more visible than a copper standing next to a car.

Policing will be hard as by nature it is not a set up location, so it is more about setting the precedent so that more will slow down than they otherwise would. Going to cause a lot of traffic jams went someone. gets pulled over in peak traffic for a routine check.

Dont forget it is an emergency vehicle showing lights so you get fair warning, more obvious than roadworks
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

They are fitting more police cars now with rear cameras & lasers so it won't be difficult from that aspect to nab offenders. I don't believe ambos will have the same gear (sadly).
John 3.16/17
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Don't forget, Police are considered "expert witnesses" when called upon to give evidence regarding vehicle speeds. So with or without a camera tracking you, you could still be pinged for passing the lit up emergency vehicle at more than 40kph, purely on "expert opinion".
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

The need for this measure is because the vast majority of Australian roads are no more than bloody goat tracks.....STILL in 2017 roads are being designed with a minimalist approach.......neither wide enough, nor adequate verge to allow for vehicles to get right out of the way........

Example:

Calder from Kyneton to Bendigo, right now.....a wire " safety " barrier is being installed too close to the road and unbroken for many many Km's...no turn around,
Finally, neither police or ambos get off the bloody road they stop half in the outside lane......how stupid is that...SAFETY is the province of each of us, and deliberate obstruction comes from arrogance and pig ignorance

How bloody stupid is this country

Sell guns.......
Sell knives
Sell ski boats, jet ski
Sell ciggies
Sell alcohol
Sell quad bikes
Sell high powered cars and insane motorbikes just to name a few
...................and then wonder why there are so many fatalities.......????
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

happyas wrote:Don't forget, Police are considered "expert witnesses" when called upon to give evidence regarding vehicle speeds. So with or without a camera tracking you, you could still be pinged for passing the lit up emergency vehicle at more than 40kph, purely on "expert opinion".
You keep putting it in quotation marks like it isn't an expert opinion?

Expert - a person who is very knowledgeable about or skilful in a particular area.

given they spend a fair amount of time looking at speeding cars on the road, I'd say they are an expert witness.

A lot of people complaining about this not being able to be policed easily, but it couldn't be simpler.
The offence is "Pass emergency vehicle in excess of 40kmh" and there is a blanket ticket for it, whether you are doing 50 or 80 it doesn't matter, same fine zero demerits. So If you go past a police car, and he thinks you are doing more than 40kmh, he will book you. They won't need to allege a precise speed like in a speeding ticket.
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Joshua wrote:
happyas wrote:Don't forget, Police are considered "expert witnesses" when called upon to give evidence regarding vehicle speeds. So with or without a camera tracking you, you could still be pinged for passing the lit up emergency vehicle at more than 40kph, purely on "expert opinion".

Expert - a person who is very knowledgeable about or skilful in a particular area.

given they spend a fair amount of time looking at speeding cars on the road, I'd say they are an expert witness.

A lot of people complaining about this not being able to be policed easily, but it couldn't be simpler.
The offence is "Pass emergency vehicle in excess of 40kmh" and there is a blanket ticket for it, whether you are doing 50 or 80 it doesn't matter, same fine zero demerits. So If you go past a police car, and he thinks you are doing more than 40kmh, he will book you. They won't need to allege a precise speed like in a speeding ticket.
Only in Australia!!!

Earlier a poster called the introduction of this law a nanny state law...

Only pace you will see Government control like this is in the soviet union under democratic dictators

Its not a nanny state.........its about control.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Hvalross wrote:
Joshua wrote:

Only in Australia!!!

Earlier a poster called the introduction of this law a nanny state law...

Only pace you will see Government control like this is in the soviet union under democratic dictators

Its not a nanny state.........its about control.
We are becoming a police state but I'd be far more concerned about things like metadata retention and the cops accessing it without adequate cause than wearing a speeding ticket without sufficient evidence
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... vutjx.html