New Overtaking Emergency Road Rule 1 July

Completely off topic!
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

New Overtaking Emergency Road Rule 1 July

Post by Yako »

Nanny state ramping it up another notch - pass the wet wipes.
From 1 July if an emergency vehicle has slowed or stopped with flashing lights you have to slow to 40Kmh even if doing 110 up the Hume or heading Gippy way. More revenue raising too I presume???
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... y-vehicles
I think RACV explains it easier.
https://www.racv.com.au/membership/memb ... ency-.html
John 3.16/17
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: New Overtaking Emergency Road Rule 1 July

Post by Tim399 »

I can see this causing issues for truck drivers with smaller vehicles in front of them braking heavily to 40kph after a bend or crest with no prior warning. We all want everyone to be safe in their workplace but being on the side of the road when a truck has to quickly avoid a collision would be a dangerous and worse position to be in
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

I agree with the rule. Many years ago a relative of my wife died from this situation. Car doing the wrong speed past an emergency vehicle. He wasn't even an emergency worker. Just a bystander.

tim the argument of coming around the corner at high speed and suddenly have to brake hard does ring true. However it is the same as coming down the Monash and turning and traffic is stopped. I'd also argue turning a bend at 100km+ when you can't see what is ahead is dangerous no matter the situation. Especially in areas where traffic is built up. It is one of the reasons why most of our freeways now which have tighter curves are 80 zones.

I think this is a common sense rule. Most people slow down when passing an emergency vehicle. But some just don't care. It's a pity they have to make it a rule for common sense.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

vicyak wrote:I agree with the rule. Many years ago a relative of my wife died from this situation. Car doing the wrong speed past an emergency vehicle. He wasn't even an emergency worker. Just a bystander.

tim the argument of coming around the corner at high speed and suddenly have to brake hard does ring true. However it is the same as coming down the Monash and turning and traffic is stopped. I'd also argue turning a bend at 100km+ when you can't see what is ahead is dangerous no matter the situation. Especially in areas where traffic is built up. It is one of the reasons why most of our freeways now which have tighter curves are 80 zones.

I think this is a common sense rule. Most people slow down when passing an emergency vehicle. But some just don't care. It's a pity they have to make it a rule for common sense.
Well said.

For those who need pictures:

There are more similar incidents on Youtube.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Yako wrote:Nanny state ramping it up another notch - pass the wet wipes.
From 1 July if an emergency vehicle has slowed or stopped with flashing lights you have to slow to 40Kmh even if doing 110 up the Hume or heading Gippy way. More revenue raising too I presume???
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... y-vehicles
I think RACV explains it easier.
https://www.racv.com.au/membership/memb ... ency-.html
Surely slowing down so cops and paramedics have a safer work place isn't that much of an imposition
pete49
Apprentice
kayak: perception swing

Post by pete49 »

much better than the super nanny state of SA where it's 25km/h including school areas. :evil: At least 40km/h is a bit better. try slowing down to 25km/h @110km/h with a roadtrain close behind you. Makes the freckle quiver I can tell you :down:
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Post by aussieDave »

In SA yes it is 25km/h but I haven't had any troubles on the highway when I don't slow right down to 25 but give a wide berth.
I guess if they want to be a-holes they can do this anyway, most are good these days since I look like a pretty conservative greying dude now and not a punk kid anymore.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

vicyak wrote:I think this is a common sense rule. Most people slow down when passing an emergency vehicle. But some just don't care. It's a pity they have to make it a rule for common sense.
Absolutely correct mate
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

As someone who actually spends a significant amount of time on the side of the roadway with emergency lights, this change could not have come sooner. People have died roadside, and literally hundreds seriously injured. The main issue is some people slow, and others do not. So the rubber neckers were causing accidents, as the person behind doesn't pay attention and swerves or emergency breaks last second to avoid the slow car in front who is gawking. If everyone slows to 40, this risk will be mitigated.

People need to stop thinking freeways, it's the streets and major roads that this is an issue. 60-80kmh zones, especially where there is no median strip.

My 2 cents anyway.
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
beeaye
The force is strong in this one
kayak: PA 14

Post by beeaye »

Anything to make it safer for our emergency workers!