Oh, bother

Completely off topic!
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: Oh, bother

Post by bjspinner »

chrisw wrote:Followup: I pulled the other tyre off and had a close look at it and it's showing signs of failing in pretty much exactly the same spot.
IMG_0426.jpg
It's pretty clear to me this is a design or manufacturing fault since the tyres are being used at their factory inflation level and have never gone over their max weight.

Looking at the location it appears as if the material there is being pinched during use. It's possible that the area around the valve is reinforced and this transfers stress to the nearest unreinforced portion of the tyre thus pinching it and causing it to weaken due to repetitive pinch/release cycles. At least that's my guess.
What pressure is in the tyres? Have you checked them.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

I had one replaced by Hobie a few years back, same problem exactly.

On the other hand you have to be really careful not to over inflate them as they are easy to blow up.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

bjspinner wrote:What pressure is in the tyres? Have you checked them.
Factory pressure. I can't check them as the only gauges I have are intended for cars and cannot reliably read anything under about 10psi.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

chrisw wrote:
bjspinner wrote:What pressure is in the tyres? Have you checked them.
Factory pressure. I can't check them as the only gauges I have are intended for cars and cannot reliably read anything under about 10psi.
I found my wheels to be under pressure (1lb) from the dealer, I run them at the max 4lb under inflation can be worse than over inflation as the side wall flex's more.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Followup: Hobie agreed to replace both tyres ... so a good resolution as far as I'm concerned. I'm not using them anymore as I'm launching from a spot where there's not much sand but will keep them set aside for times when I really need them .