Only the best gear of Yellwbelly

Completely off topic!
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Only the best gear of Yellwbelly

Post by Hvalross »

On Cup Day I took myself down memory lane at Lake Eppalock. Hauled out the Coarse Fishing gear........ the " works " 13' rods, super light line, seat box, platform 10 ' landing net set up, 3m large diameter Keep net and just 4 cans of corn for ground bait and bait... pulled up at the first spot I came to and set up with no idea of what was in front...challenge is to get as many fish as possible out in five hours. No moving spot, where you start is where you stay.

Ended up with 18 Carp 3lb - 6lb, with most in the upper range. It took a while to get in the groove, but I ended up with an audience and a 'mate'..there is a load of junk on the bottom so I was cleaned up by one, bumped 5 where the hookup was not clean or I just applied too much pressure to keep them up near the surface, so total hooked was 24 for the 5 hours.

Vietnamese fella set up next to me and eventually moved into my posie when I left, real nice fella and we chatted as we fished...for a mate I won "George" a 4 year old keen as mustard, but his folks did not bring any gear for him to fish I had his company for the full five hours....dont fully understand some parents, fair dinkum.

Anyhow the Viet fella was fishing with a couple of rather fancy spinning reels that looked to be about surf size, and a pair of one piece fast taper 9'-10' rods. He told me he was after 'belly....

As I packed up he moved in as I removed my gear and I got to look at his rods and reels... a pair of Shimano Stella reels on a couple of equally fancy Shimano Japan built Carbon rods ....could not resist asking what the gear was worth...Ah! Shimano rods very expensive he said... $700 each, reels on special normally $900...

Have not checked out his claim but it looked about right to me :roll: :roll:

He then rigged up a live Yabbie, on a 2oz running ball sinker to a 4/0 top end Gamakatsu hook.........If his line was what I thought it may be he was using 30lb fluorocarbon.

Sometimes only the best will do :mrgreen:
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...