Hi from Frankston

New? Say G'Day here!
bennymac
Apprentice
kayak: PA14

Hi from Frankston

Post by bennymac »

Hi I'm new here,

I'm a long time fisherman and have done most of my fishing in and around Brisbane. School holidays as a kid always involved camping and beach fishing at either North Stradbroke, Moreton or Fraser Island. Before leaving Brisbane I had a little center console that I enjoyed chasing tuna and mackerel around Moreton Bay and the inshore reefs of the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.

I've been in Melbourne a while now and have recently got my hands on a Hobie Pro Angler 14 and have caught the yak bug. My first trip out was at Devilbend Res where I practiced some deep water re-entries. I have been out from Mornington a few times and went for a fish at Coronet Bay a few weeks ago. The fishing is tough here and I'm yet to land anything good but I'm really enjoying the experience so far.

I hope to tangle with some of the prized gummy sharks you guys have down here in the near future!

Cheers,
Ben
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Hi from Frankston

Post by peatop »

Hi Ben and welcome, the fishing here isn't that bad once you get to know you way around ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
leap
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Stealth 575

Post by leap »

peatop wrote:Hi Ben and welcome, the fishing here isn't that bad once you get to know you way around ;)
Welcome Ben :)
Gunna
Apprentice
kayak: Ocean Kayak

Post by Gunna »

Welcome Ben.
If you can catch fish in Vic, you'll be an absolute legend in every other State :D
Great kayak there & I'm sure you'll be smashing them.
Tight Lines :up:
bennymac
Apprentice
kayak: PA14

Post by bennymac »

Thanks fellas.

Got out for a few hours from Sunnyside this morning. Had a bit of fun with some pinkies (we call them squire up north) on plastics. No size to them but good fun on light gear nonetheless.

Love my yak
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Welcome Ben,
Got yourself a good fishing yak and living in Frankston you are near the bay & mornington peninsula launch sites.
Fishing Vic is not quite the same as Qld but you will enjoy the Challenge.
Enjoy getting out on the water despite catching less than what you are used to in Qld.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

As an ex North Qlder I know what you mean when it comes to fish around Vic. In Townsville I used to fish with 6,8 and 10 kg line and never keep a fish that didn't take line. When I moved to Melbourne some 20 odd years ago I used 1,2 and 3 kg lines and couldn't find a fish to drag string. I am still fishing 3kg line and there are not many fish dragging string but I get a feed most days out. Welcome to the poormans fishery.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo: