New angler

New? Say G'Day here!
Kamaukid
kayak: Osprey fishing kayak

New angler

Post by Kamaukid »

Hi all, I'm new to kayak fishing and wondering if anyone knows any spots in werribee south? Im gonna try this Sat if anyone is keen for a early morning blast.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: New angler

Post by laneends »

Welcome and dont forget to read the safety section first up, and secondly first thing you should do if you haven't been in a kayak before is to take it ou empty and prcatice, especially getting in and out of it in deep water.

As far as fishing WS is concerned given you only have a short kayak ( I think?), dont go too far out and be wary of Easterly winds coming off the bay as they can make it very bumpy. best options is to fish the shallows either side of the entrance for flathead, whiting, and squid. It can get very shallow on the low especially on the southern side.

Its an easy launch straight from car park into estuary. may need to get there early on weekends to get a spot, and watch out for the boats

Enjoy
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Lots of people here who fish Campbells Cove and Werribee South including me.

Make sure you read the safety section and also read up on wind forecasts. North winds are the best but also be aware of northerlies 15knots+ as they can cause you major troubles as it seems calm from the shoreline. A lot of people get into trouble on offshore winds. Easterlies to SE winds are shocking in that area. I tend not to go out in them.

Highly recommend going for flathead and squid at the moment. Good numbers around.
Kamaukid

Post by Kamaukid »

Thanks for the feed back, I took it out a couple times already to test the stability of thekayak and it was great, I just took out a rod with a softball and surprise i got nothing, But it was rough so I didn't stay out for long or go too far.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Shortly we will organise a practice day for re-entry and overturning yak at Campbells Cove. Watch the threads as I will do this probably early March. Hope to go for a fish first then unload and then practice in daylight with no gear. Will plan to do this on a Southerly as if you have trouble you will hit land anyway.
Kamaukid

Post by Kamaukid »

Okay thank you very much for that, still if anyone's keen I'm going to try out Cambells cove Saturday morning good forecast for it so come down if your keen, I'll be there at 530-6am.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Kamaukid wrote:Okay thank you very much for that, still if anyone's keen I'm going to try out Cambells cove Saturday morning good forecast for it so come down if your keen, I'll be there at 530-6am.
It's probably a bit early to be confident about Saturday's forecast, though that said if it does stick to the predicted 5kt westerly it ought to be nice. As Brian said be wary of southerly or easterly winds at CC or WS as it can get lumpy and unsuitable for small yaks. A few of us were out there yesterday at dawn and even with only 7kts easterly it was a bit unpleasant. Also be careful when coming back in as there's a shallow section you need to go over off the beach and with a following sea you can get dumped. I usually deploy my drift chute when going in there.

Werribee South has the same problem with shallow areas but you have the advantage of the river mouth and boat ramps there - the water in front of the beach just before the ramp gets deep very quickly due to recent dredging and is a good sheltered spot for launching and retrieval.
Kamaukid

Post by Kamaukid »

Yeah here's to hope if it is too rough I'll just try some land based fishing, it's already happened a few times since I've been out on my kayak, is there any decent estuarys I can go to it is?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Limeburner’s bay near geelong is sheltered, i haven't fished it myself but it maybe more suitable to your kayak ;) don't confuse it with limeburners point on the other side of corio bay, inner corio bay is another option as it has multiple areas to fish in different wind conditions, however as everyone will tell you, don't venture to far from shore in a kayak under 4m ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Kamaukid wrote:Yeah here's to hope if it is too rough I'll just try some land based fishing, it's already happened a few times since I've been out on my kayak, is there any decent estuarys I can go to it is?
Depending on your definition of 'decent' there is of course the werribee river estuary which you can launch into from the previously-mentioned beach or land fish from the beach or the pontoons at the ramp.

If you want to land fish but want to get away from the crowds you could paddle your yak the few dozen meters required to get across the river mouth to the water authority land on the other side. While you can't go stomping around there as it's not public access my understanding is that up to the high water mark is ok (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).