Welcome to the forum Jeremy.
Enjoy your stay.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Re: Hi from the Peninsula

Post by chrisw »

djillusions24 wrote:You can pick up a decent quality PLB now for around $100 - thing will last 5 or so years so its a great investment.
I figure if someone's PLB failed to work or didn't work as well as it should the coast guard would hear of it (assuming they did get a rescue in the end).

So ... Is there any particular opinion amongst you guys about PLB brands/models to avoid or are they all much of a muchness?
djillusions24
Apprentice
kayak: JetOcean

Post by djillusions24 »

chrisw wrote:
djillusions24 wrote:You can pick up a decent quality PLB now for around $100 - thing will last 5 or so years so its a great investment.
I figure if someone's PLB failed to work or didn't work as well as it should the coast guard would hear of it (assuming they did get a rescue in the end).

So ... Is there any particular opinion amongst you guys about PLB brands/models to avoid or are they all much of a muchness?
We usually just advise people to stick to the name brands, don't try and cheap out with some no-name or international imported model. We have no partnership with any manufacturer but we use GME EPIRB and RescueME PLB on all our kit.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Just interested in your thoughts on electronic flares, I carry one with me on the yak and on the yacht (same one at the price they charge).
I realise that I am obliged to carry flares but this certainly can get someones attention but I have yet to see the Coastguards views on them.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/ocean-sig ... ress-flare
djillusions24
Apprentice
kayak: JetOcean

Post by djillusions24 »

bunyip wrote:Just interested in your thoughts on electronic flares, I carry one with me on the yak and on the yacht (same one at the price they charge).
I realise that I am obliged to carry flares but this certainly can get someones attention but I have yet to see the Coastguards views on them.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/ocean-sig ... ress-flare
Coast Guard participated in extensive testing of Electronic Flares vs. Traditional Flares alongside MSV last year. The outcome certainly was not in the favor of electronic flares, land observers reported difficulties trying to identify the electronic flare amongst other light pollution in the marine environment. A full report was tabled, I will try and dig it out.

My opinion, save your money and just buy traditional flares.