Hi from the Yarra Velley

New? Say G'Day here!
watermullon
Apprentice
kayak: Perception Sport Pescador 13.0

Hi from the Yarra Velley

Post by watermullon »

Hi there VYAK members.

First post. Just wanted to introduce myself and begin to get to know some of you guys.

I spent my youth fishing for XOS snapper in the Marlborough Sounds, NZ from a 8ft dinghy and glass Canadian style canoe. Now I'm trying out the SOT kayak scene as a way to get back into saltwater fishing. I don't have any experience fishing in Victoria yet, so I'm loving the stories coming from the Vyak forum. I'll be heading out to Western Port about Coronet Bay soon. Can't wait.

Got myself a second hand Perception Pescador 13ft 2+1 recently so I can fish solo and with the keener of my kids. I bought it just as a basic kayak, and I have been adding the fishing basics to it to get started.

(sorry, if the image doesn't come up ... not sure how the whole image thing works yet ... excuse my ignorance. Here is the image link if it doesn't https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3wbx3w1u1dsw ... 7.jpg?dl=0)

Might do more elaborate mods down the track, but prefer to keep things simple.

When I'm out on the water, I hope to run into a few of you guys and learn some local knowledge. Until then, tight lines!

Guy.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: Hi from the Yarra Velley

Post by choppers »

Welcome mate. Good time of year to be hitting coronet bay area. Squid and whiting in close and wider holds good gummies, big snapper and mulloway, and enough bycatch to keep you busy
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
watermullon
Apprentice

Post by watermullon »

Thanks choppers,

I've been reading a few of your posts ... I've been learning heaps, .. so thanks ... but I know there is nothing like actual time on the water. Funny, I had all the local knowledge back home chasing snapper in Mahau Sound, but come to a new place and I have to start all over again. What I'm really looking forward to is the variety of species in WP. Thanks for the advice, and I hope to catch up with you out on the pond sometime.
Tight lines ...

Watermullon
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Welcome Guy,
If that weight on the frond is your anchor? You can buy a 1.5kg grapnel at most bcf stores for $30, but as you probably already know if your sitting solo up the back you need to add weight up front to compensate for the load variation, apart from that its a nice setup.
Ask all the questions you want no matter what they are read the diy an safety threads, above all have fun ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

watermullon wrote:Thanks choppers,

I've been reading a few of your posts ... I've been learning heaps, .. so thanks ... but I know there is nothing like actual time on the water. Funny, I had all the local knowledge back home chasing snapper in Mahau Sound, but come to a new place and I have to start all over again. What I'm really looking forward to is the variety of species in WP. Thanks for the advice, and I hope to catch up with you out on the pond sometime.
Have fun with your first big ray on a kayak down there :evilgrin:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote:Welcome Guy,
If that weight on the frond is your anchor? )
Reminds me of my first anchor which resides to this day somewhere in the rocks off millers rd altona. Yep you will need a grapnel once you start dealing with WP tides, and of course a safe method of recovering them
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Safe method?? Is that wetsuit flippers and a shark guard? Lol.
For sure, check out how to rig an anchor in diy, (chain to bottom tied with cable tie at the top).
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
watermullon
Apprentice

Post by watermullon »

Yes peatop it is a 10lb barbell weight. Two reasons: 1 I can use the extra weight on the front as I'm sitting at the back and my son in the front and I'm 40kg heavier than he is; 2 it's what I had lying around. If it doesn't work so well, I'll get a grapnell, but should be OK in the lower current areas where I'm heading out. Going to test it tomorrow out coronet. I'll find our then if it holds the bottom.

Laneends. .not looking forward to a big ray in the yak, ... bad enough from a fizboat.
Tight lines ...

Watermullon