Hi Guys

New? Say G'Day here!
Chrislager
kayak: RTM Disco

Hi Guys

Post by Chrislager »

Hi, I just joined vyak after having a chat with Hamish on the weekend. Hamish was generous with fishing info for me and it seems to be the tone of this forum also, really nice.
I have been paddling around the Altona area trying to catch fish since October last year and I go home without fish more often than not :)
In my younger days I chased trout in the Goulburn river using a Black Queen rod with 6lb line and a gold or silver Wonder Wobbler. Being an old bloke that doesn't want to change his ways that's pretty much what I did my first time out with my RTM Disco kayak last year. I launched at Apex and to my surprise I took home two decent flattys and a few salmon as well. All caught on one of my old gold Wonder Wobblers. Since then I have been out most weekends, even over winter.

I'm looking forward to catching a few more fish this year and contributing to the forum if I can. I'll see you guys around.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Hi Guys

Post by Tim399 »

Welcome Chris. I fish the Altona area now and again, mainly around the apex. About half the kayakers I say hello to there are on vyak, and it certainly is a great forum to be a member of. I will probably see you out there in the coming months :up:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Welcome Chris,
Enjoy your stay, an pour yourself a drink.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by chunk9000 »

Welcome Chris! As Tim said lots of vyak members around Altona.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Welcome Chris, how do you like the disco? Always wanted to paddle one of them. I image they are fast, but wet and a bit tippy until you get used to them.

The black queen was my first LB rod, still got it. Too long for a yak though. Strange things with no taper they just keep wobbling, but can cast a moderate sized sinker miles.

You will get tons of info and entertainment from the guys on this site, as well as meeting a few new mates. :thumbsup:
Chrislager
kayak: RTM Disco

Post by Chrislager »

Thanks Tim, Peter, Trent and Keith. Looking forward to catching up with some of you guys out there.
I'm hoping to get a bit more consistency with actually catching fish. My wife is a lot happier when I bring a fish home.
I have a week off and I went out yesterday and today. I caught nothing.
Something grabbed a lure broke my 6lb line yesterday so today I had strong leaders and something chomped one of my sp tails off. I'll get a fish tomorrow :)

Keith, the disco is my first kayak and I had never been in a kayak before that so I can't compare it to other kayaks very well. Yes I am pretty happy with it though. It seems to be quite fast and it is quiet. It is wet and a bit tippy as you say. There is not a lot of room for gear so I take the minimum stuff with me and it has taken me a while to work out how to set it up so I can deal with fish and gear. It's an ongoing process of trying to improve things when you notice a prob. Pretty much I bought it based on this article: http://ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.org/RTM/rtmdisco.html They are on special from time to time so wait for a sale if anyone is interested. You can have a paddle of mine if we catch up at the water some time.

I don't have my black queen any more. Last year I bought a rod that seems to be about as floppy, a Jarvis Walker Aurora Jimmy Crane Light. It was really cheap and it is 2.6 meters long. It took me a while to get used to it but it is good for distance. I have used it on the disco a lot and I like how I can get my line around each end of the kayak.