Hi From Geelong

New? Say G'Day here!
Boydy81
Apprentice
kayak: 2016 12ft Hobie Pro Angler 180 Drive

Hi From Geelong

Post by Boydy81 »

Hi Guys. Great to be a part of the forum . New to yak fishing, based around Geelong area just purchased a Hobie 12ft Pro Angler 180 drive absolutely love it keen to get some tips from you guys
Attachments
20170402_082907-1632x918.jpg
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Hi From Geelong

Post by laneends »

Welcome lots of areas to fish around there. Lots of info to glean here, particularly about staying safe
:thumbsup:
Boydy81
Apprentice

Post by Boydy81 »

Great anyone here from Geelong? Is there a section on fishing spots?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Boydy81 wrote: Is there a section on fishing spots?
well more on launch sites so here PPB http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=74 figure out whats down your way and go from there
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Welcome Scott :wave: Looking forward to hearing your reports :up:
I'm sure Shane and a few others who fish your side can help you.
I'm on the opposite side of the bay but occasionally come down to Portarlington or St Leonards area.
John 3.16/17
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Boydy81 wrote:Great anyone here from Geelong? Is there a section on fishing spots?
Avalon, grammer school, point henry are your common yak spots closest to Geelong
Last edited by laneends on 18 Apr 2017, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
Boydy81
Apprentice

Post by Boydy81 »

Ok Great. I guess the grand old question is from a newbie is do i need to be concerned about sharks around this area? I have been looking into a shark shield! I have been looking through safety section and realise this is an important part which i do understand
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Boydy81 wrote:Ok Great. I guess the grand old question is from a newbie is do i need to be concerned about sharks around this area? I have been looking into a shark shield! I have been looking through safety section and realise this is an important part which i do understand
Not really, thats mainly for offshore or at least entrances to bays.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Boydy81 wrote:Ok Great. I guess the grand old question is from a newbie is do i need to be concerned about sharks around this area? I have been looking into a shark shield! I have been looking through safety section and realise this is an important part which i do understand
Welcome to VYAK Scott. There are quite a few who yak around Geelong and are on here but may not post very often. Regarding sharks there's not much issue to worry about. The only species you really have to worry about are GWS and it's highly unlikely that you'll run into these in the bays. Even fishing offshore a lot including known GWS areas, I'm yet to encounter one as it's still a fairly rare occurrence.

Your options around Geelong are many and varied. Corio bay allows you to get out in a range of wind conditions and is good for the usual bread and butter species. There's also the Barwon esturary, the freshwater rivers in Geelong or the crater lakes further inland for when it's really blowing. The Belleraine Peninsula area offers some very good options like St Leonards or Clifton Springs. Then around the corner at Queenscliff it can be more challenging with the currents but the fishing can be exceptional. If you want to head offshore then Torquay is an easy start with Barwon Heads also OK once you understand the tide flows and bar.

I don't get down that bway often enough for my liking but there would be others able to join you, especially if you put up a post in the fishing trips section. :up:
0408 565 763
Boydy81
Apprentice

Post by Boydy81 »

shane wrote:
[Welcome to VYAK Scott. There are quite a few who yak around Geelong and are on here but may not post very often. Regarding sharks there's not much issue to worry about. The only species you really have to worry about are GWS and it's highly unlikely that you'll run into these in the bays. Even fishing offshore a lot including known GWS areas, I'm yet to encounter one as it's still a fairly rare occurrence.

Your options around Geelong are many and varied. Corio bay allows you to get out in a range of wind conditions and is good for the usual bread and butter species. There's also the Barwon esturary, the freshwater rivers in Geelong or the crater lakes further inland for when it's really blowing. The Belleraine Peninsula area offers some very good options like St Leonards or Clifton Springs. Then around the corner at Queenscliff it can be more challenging with the currents but the fishing can be exceptional. If you want to head offshore then Torquay is an easy start with Barwon Heads also OK once you understand the tide flows and bar.

I don't get down that bway often enough for my liking but there would be others able to join you, especially if you put up a post in the fishing trips section]. :up:
Fantastic info Shayne i guess i have watched way to many Sharks movies ! I can also blame David Attenborough as well with all the white pointers breaching with the seals just pictueing me in my little Kayak ha ha i know thats far from reality