Hi

New? Say G'Day here!
Estuary1
kayak: None as yet

Hi

Post by Estuary1 »

Hi
I am working on getting my first kayak
I am a long term owner but infrequent user of a tinnie. Usually i just take it out during holidays at Mallacoota. Frankly, the boat ramp hassle and the maintenance required to get the boat going after sitting around for months is a real barrier to taking it out on the bays when i happen to have time and the weather is suitable. The idea of the kayak and the quietness and human powered aspects really appeals, not to mention the appeal of throwing it on the roof for quick trips out when time permits.
I've been eyeing off Hobie outbacks and have had a couple of hires from Mornington, and aside from the dodgy seat in the one i hired, saggy and giving no support to speak of, i think they are brilliantly designed. On Sunday i took one out and had a languid 3 km pedal (based on the pedometer on the phone). i am six ft 3 and 115kg, and i found at the longest setting the peals are Ok although they clunk on the moulding at full stride. propulsion was easy and i didnt feel tired. My lower back though after 3 hrs in the daggy chair was not that happy.
Oh, lots of squid out there and got a couple for us at the rocks to the right of the hire place within a few casts with a white sephia jig
So i think i am looking for a 2015 Hobie outback with the vantage seat, if the claims are to be believed. probably at this stage a tax ruturn purchase unless something super appealing turns up beforehand. or i bite the bullet and sell the tinnie!
And maybe a rack n roll loader to get it onto the SUV roof maybe?
it seems i will be up for about $2500 on Gumtree for the 2015 hobie with the trimmings including sounder, turbo fins, wheels and hopefully light
Any feedback about the vantage seats? Do i need to sit in one?
Looking forward to join in when i have something to offer and perhaps joining in group outings
regards
Paul
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Re: Hi

Post by bjspinner »

I would try one for sure, SLH Mornington do demo runs most Saturday mornings if you book one.

Give them a call, from what is said the vantage seat is a major improvement over the old seats.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

No comparison in an outback. Vantage all the way. You won't go back to the old seat.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Estuary1 wrote:Hi
ft 3 and 115kg, and i found at the longest setting the peals are Ok although they clunk on the moulding at full stride. propulsion was easy and i didnt feel tired. My lower back though after 3 hrs in the daggy chair was not that happy.
I'm your height (but somewhat heavier) and recently got a PA14 with vantage seat. First outing was 90 minutes and I didn't even feel a twinge in my back after that time; given I hadn't used a kayak in anger for 40 years I think that says something about the seat :up:
Estuary1

Post by Estuary1 »

Thanks for the replies.Good to hear some positive referrals
The 2015/ vantage seat looks like the go.Based on pricing on second hand ones on Gumtree it looks like i will end up paying an extra $400 essentially for a chair.. (vs a 2014 one with old seat) but the sore back does take the gloss off the experience.
Yes, i will definitely have a sit in one before buying
Thanks
Paul
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Estuary1 wrote:Thanks for the replies.Good to hear some positive referrals
The 2015/ vantage seat looks like the go.Based on pricing on second hand ones on Gumtree it looks like i will end up paying an extra $400 essentially for a chair.. (vs a 2014 one with old seat) but the sore back does take the gloss off the experience.
Yes, i will definitely have a sit in one before buying
Thanks
Paul
Actually for 400 your getting the following:
1. The Vantage seat
2. Redesigned front foot well, flatter and drier
3. Glidetech mirage drive

There is a few other changes but they are the main items.

http://www.yakangler.com/kayaks-and-gea ... comparison

Alot extra for the $$
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Estuary1

Post by Estuary1 »

Thanks for the correction Wind waker. That's a very clear value comparison.
That makes it much easier to resist the draw of those cheaper pre 2015 ones on Gumtree.
Thanks
Paul