"G'day" from Ringwood -(Melbourne's East)

New? Say G'Day here!
Timmuns
kayak: Malibu Stealth 9

"G'day" from Ringwood -(Melbourne's East)

Post by Timmuns »

Hey all, just bought my first ever yak - a Malibu Stealth 9 in camo sand colour!

My name is Tim, and my background is almost exclusively in trout fishing in rivers of Vic. - mostly in the Yarra Valley and beyond. I live in the Ringwood area in Melbourne's East

Not surprisingly, I wanted to venture out into the dams and lakes, so the kayak seemed like the logical choice...

Anyway, I haven't tee'd up a paddle or seat yet (which I will of course) - but other than those and a life-vest (which I have) - are there any other 'essential' accessories I should be looking to get before I hit the water for the first time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - cheers
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: "G'day" from Ringwood -(Melbourne's East)

Post by cheaterparts »

Timmuns wrote:
Anyway, I haven't tee'd up a paddle or seat yet (which I will of course) - but other than those and a life-vest (which I have) - are there any other 'essential' accessories I should be looking to get before I hit the water for the first time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - cheers
First off welcome to Vyak you will find there is a lot of info here that should help you

with your new paddle - a paddle leash , cheap and simple
and your basic safety gear http://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/marit ... -equipment check human powered section
but for inland waters I think the requirements are only a bailer or pump

something worth thinking about is clothing fresh water can and usually is colder that salt water (bays or offshore ) so if you take an unplaned dip and can't get back in that becomes a problem quickly
check the Safety section on clothing and hypothermia if fact read through the safety section as there are things you may not have thought
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Timmuns

Post by Timmuns »

Okey doke - I'll get onto that, thanks heaps cheaterparts
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Welcome to Vyak Tim,
X2 with what Cheater said.
You will find lots of usefull info & friendly people on this forum.
After reading safety section next tip is read & post where & when you are going on the fishing trips section.
You are likely to find other Vyakers going the same place at the same time.
Safety in numbers & looking out for each other.
Timmuns

Post by Timmuns »

Jacko wrote:Welcome to Vyak Tim,
X2 with what Cheater said.
You will find lots of usefull info & friendly people on this forum.
After reading safety section next tip is read & post where & when you are going on the fishing trips section.
You are likely to find other Vyakers going the same place at the same time.
Safety in numbers & looking out for each other.
Fantastic - that's great to know - I'd definitely appreciate heading out on the water with some one else!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Which dams and lakes do you have in mind?
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Welcome Tim. I am not far away in Mt Evelyn. If you wish to do a "shake down" trip on a safe water like lilydale lake, give me a PM and I will accompany you. You can even bring a rod as there are fish in there, mainly carp, but a fish is a fish and fun on light gear.
Timmuns

Post by Timmuns »

laneends wrote:Which dams and lakes do you have in mind?
Hey laneends - no idea yet! Seeing as there is a bit more safety stuff than what I anticipated (which is a good thing! I'm glad I came to this forum and got told this valuable info...) I think I'll probably hit up Lillydale Lake (yes its spelt "Lilly"dale!) to learn my craft as its definitely my local! But I guess perhaps Eildon? and perhaps the Yarra River in Warrandyte if I'm game?

Open to suggestions if you know any nearby!
Timmuns

Post by Timmuns »

happyas wrote:Welcome Tim. I am not far away in Mt Evelyn. If you wish to do a "shake down" trip on a safe water like lilydale lake, give me a PM and I will accompany you. You can even bring a rod as there are fish in there, mainly carp, but a fish is a fish and fun on light gear.
G'day happyas ! Thanks heaps mate!!! That's fantastic - I grew up in Montrose (near the York on Lilydale) where my folks still live - so I love every piece of Mt Ev and needless to say I have seen countless people in Lillydale Lake kayaking and have always wanted to get out and do it myself!)

Never had much luck in there... only the odd English Perch and a couple of Rainbow Trout after its been stocked! (Hence why I do mostly rivers...!) But I can't ever say that I've landed something on a yak - and what better way than to catch one at my local lake I grew up with!)

State of play with my gear:

Only have the kayak so far (!!!) ... and nothing else...

...but, my birthday is coming up next week, so hoping to get a BCF voucher (hint hint wife...!) and buy the paddle, paddle-leash, kayak seat (and my old man reckons he's got a few life-jackets under the house) so that will get me started!

I've also got heaps of fishing gear, so that's no problem.

So yeah, that'd be great mate - I'll hit you up in a couple of weeks maybe and I'd love to learn the ropes!