Gday from Newport

New? Say G'Day here!
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Gday from Newport

Post by Reeling »

Gday all!

Nath here. Just thought I would introduce myself as a new member of this very knowledgeable forum. I've joined here following recently joining fishingvictoria forum. I've been toying with getting myself a kayak recently and all of the questions being raised on fishingvictoria usually point them here.

Having read many different threads on both forums and watching dozens of the YouTube clips from members on here, I'm gagging to get myself a kayak, learn the safety side of it and then get myself out on the water fishing.

Come the time when I'm ready to buy, I'm likely to do most of my fishing in PPB, as I only live in newport/williamtown. At lest I the immediate future until I'm confident enough for true open water.

I'm currently looking at the Hobie Revolution 13 due to its tracking capability, ability to still paddle as well as pedal and not so heavy to manhandle from car to water. This is by no means my final decision but currently my preference. I will definitely get myself on a demo day and try both pedal and paddle before committing and will continue to research.

I've just had an acl reconstruction on my knee and having had one before, know that cycling is a fantastic rehab exercise.....another words, I'm more likely to get the idea past the wife ;)

Nath
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Gday from Newport

Post by laneends »

Welcome, and good on you for doing the research. A revo 13 is a great all round yak. As you are probably well aware there are a lot of yakkers in the willy/altona area, especially at this time of year. We are a freindly lot and I am sure you will soon get aquainted with the locals.
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Thanks Keith. It's certainly a growing means by which to fish. Hopefully they're happy for me to tag along, when the time comes for me to venture out.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

first off welcome to Vyak Nath you will find the site here is both friendly and informative
there are quite a few Revo pilots here and they are quite a capable kayak for the bays and some off shore work as well
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Thanks Stephen. I've already found a lot of very useful info on here and I've only been round a couple of days. Hehe. Having said that I am laid up in bed with my knee at the moment so have a lot of time on my hands haha

chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by chunk9000 »

Howdy neighbor. Post up when you're thinking of heading out and you'll more than likely find others in the area. Welcome to the forum which you will find is an invaluable source of knowledge.
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Thanks Trent.

I look forward to trying trying some kayaks in a couple of weeks, once my knee is able to "cycle"

Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Welcome to the forum Nath. I'm Newport based too, nice easy access to one of the busiest yak launches in Melbourne. Lots of good reading in the safety section while you are laid up. Gimme a shout when you are up for a paddle :thumbsup:
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Thanks Edinburgh,

It's quickly becoming a busy place for fellow yakkers :)

Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

G'day Nathan,
While you are in the market for a yak, if yoy want to save some coin consider 2nd hand.
There are often yakkers on this forum who upgrade.
Quite a few are upgrading to get the new Vantage seat which came in in 2015 and are offloading pre 2015 kayaks.
You will generally get the extras they have added (Anchor, trolley, sounders, rod holders etc) thrown in when they sell.